Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 07:04 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,507 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I live in northern Virginia and my property adjoins a 70 acre nature center. I have lots of wildlife! I'm in the initial planning stages of redoing my backyard. I currently have a paradise for deer. They eat the hosta like it is salad! I'm looking for alternate plants that they don't like. In addition to the hosta they eat the buds of day lilies and rhododendron. I know thay don't like cone flower and black eye susans. What else is it safe to plant that they won't eat?

Thank in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 07:11 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
Here's a site that list deer resistant plants:Lawn & Garden: Landscape Plants Rated by Deer Resistance

Old 08-02-2008, 06:28 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,110,342 times
They don't like foxgloves, which are digitalis. Just watch little kids don't pick or eat them, because they make the heart race.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:15 AM

Thanks much for the list it is much appreciate.

I do have a few foxgloves that they leave alone.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:42 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,270 times
Default Cinnamon

I have some impatients that the deer just love....was shopping for deer repellant and saw that cinnamon was listed as an ingredient in one of them. I sprinkled powdered cinnamon on my impatients, and so far, they have left them alone. Has anyone else tried this? Sorry for the thread drift.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:46 AM

324 posts, read 1,706,588 times
I've always heard that they won't eat purple flowers, lavendar is safe. Rosemary is safe also.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:10 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,756,930 times
They don't like Coral Bells

Old 08-02-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
I sprinkled powdered cinnamon on my impatients, and so far, they have left them alone. Has anyone else tried this? Sorry for the thread drift.
I've sprinkled cayenne pepper and that worked until the next rain. I've also used Liquid Fence - that works too but only until the next rain and you need to have a strong stomach to be able to spray the stuff on the plants. It seems as soon as it rains the deer come running. I've used the wireless deer fence this year with a modicum of success. Wireless Deer Fence Deer Repellent Deer Control I've got a neighbor who keeps them away with a bar of Irish Spring soad hung above every plant that she want's to protect - it does work!

I've finally decided that I need to plant suff that the deer don't like. I've got some great ferns that they don't eat and I'll be planting more of them.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:20 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,096,626 times
they don't like plastic flowers

Old 08-02-2008, 03:52 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,120 times
They prune my purple coneflowers every year, but the plants branch out and end up with more flowers than if unpruned. The same with my Balloon Flowers. So far they have not bothered all my Impatiens, or marigolds, Angelina, Canna, or Pelargoniums(geraniums). They do eat the wild geraniums, but have not bothered the cultivated ones. They do not eat Daffodils, but love day lilies...leaves and all, and Tulips. They haven't bothered my Hyacinths, but either they, or the rabbits, hardly leave me any Crocus. I fence a lot of my shrubs to protect them. They prune the Hydrangeas, roses, some Viburnums, but don't bother Spireas, Forsythia, and Weigelas.
The fawns are sometimes the worse nibblers. They try out things, and if they don't like them, they spit them out ! Last year they sampled my Elephant Ears. I fenced the one that they can get to this year. My Caladiums were ate down to nubs...just like the Hosta. I have them on the deck this year.

Last year they nipped the tops off of the Iris. I have seen no damage to them this year.

I call them 'hooved rodents' !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden