Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,114 times

Advertisements

good info greendesert, others were guessing. Talked with an expert at Leslies, he says pretty much what you said.
Cyanuric acid is not bad for lawns or plants but, its the chlorine that will kill them. remember if you have a pool with high cyanuric acid that you have what they call a chlorine lock which means if you've added chlorine and its not getting rid of algae, then you will be high in chlorine and shouldn't water plants with it. Best to test water to see if high in chlorine. Hope I didn't confuse you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 12:32 AM

82 posts, read 70,670 times
Manure is generally high in salts, not good for plants either.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Rule of thumb, if you wouldn't drink it or give it to your animals, then I wouldn't give it to my plants. Pool water changes the normal chemistry for what mother nature intended for plants to survive. Green pool water is the worst.
That might be good advise, but I can think of a lot of water I wouldn't drink, but I would use for plants. I have no idea about the pool water. It is an interesting question though.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:25 PM

400 posts, read 572,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Pool water changes the normal chemistry for what mother nature intended for plants to survive. Green pool water is the worst.
Ironically enough, green pool water is full of algae. I'm not sure if algae are full fledged members of the plant family, but I'd probably lean the other way and assume that the water was not toxic to plant life.

I dump 2-3 feet out of my pool every fall when I do winter prep. I just put it on the lawn, or use it to water trees I've just planted. No issues yet. But I do follow a simple chemical protocol - bleach, muriatic acid, and cyanuric acid when needed.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:35 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman56 View Post
good info greendesert, others were guessing. Talked with an expert at Leslies, he says pretty much what you said.

Cyanuric acid is not bad for lawns or plants but, its the chlorine that will kill them. remember if you have a pool with high cyanuric acid that you have what they call a chlorine lock which means if you've added chlorine and its not getting rid of algae, then you will be high in chlorine and shouldn't water plants with it. Best to test water to see if high in chlorine. Hope I didn't confuse you.
Now that we're well into the month of October it must be the things on everyone's to do list. This is what we found. We've been using the water a little at a time (on the hardier perennial bushes, hostas, etc.) and so far so good

One quick idea before you head off to recycle your pool water. Allowing the chlorine to evaporate from your pool will essentially turn your pool water into gray water, which is perfect for watering your garden.

Recycling Your Pool Water??? Yeah, we can do that! | Parks Brothers Greenhouses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden