Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 05:54 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,764,664 times

Advertisements

I wonder if using those "moisture crystals" would work.

we were either very dry, or deluged with rain. no real happy medium this year.
last year my tomatoes were great.

plus - i have to admit ... i was not home must this summer to keep an eye on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 06:07 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
If you live in rainy wet areas, make sure you have proper drainage. If necessary double your drainage area. Overly wet feet is bad for any plant.
It's generally not so wet here like it was this year. It's rather unusual, so not something that's usually necessary to be concerned with. Usually, I have to water my plants a lot. At one point this summer I was bailing water out of my garden with buckets to try to help the plants. My tomatoes that were either in containers or under the overhang of the roof, did great, however, and I can't complain too badly about my black plum tomatoes which did great despite the wet weather before they died from some sort of fungus that I couldn't get under control despite lots of effort, and my cherry tomatoes. I got very few of my favorites, the brandywines, this year. Quite upsetting.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:13 PM

11,379 posts, read 24,385,676 times
Mine did fine till I quit taking care of them. There were still cherry tomatoes growing at the ends of the vines when we pulled them up. Couldn't really get out there to take care of them after the middle of July. Not my best summer...but now I'm getting ready for next year.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:36 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,955,354 times
This was not my best year--was fighting pests all summer.
Cooler weather is helping. I pruned everything back and I'm still getting tomatoes, but at some point we will get a hard freeze. That probably won't happen until after Thanksgiving or even Christmas. I guess I'll see how long I can take this, since the summer production was just so-so.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 AM

202 posts, read 1,073,991 times
I direct sow mine so they are still green but are nice and fat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden