U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 AM

8,862 posts, read 16,594,517 times

Advertisements

I think I know the answer before I ask the question.

How do you eradicate this stuff from your yard? Answer: Pull it out one clump at a time. That is what I am doing. I am in the SE/US--possibly Zone 6A or 6B/could be 5Aor B--haven't looked at the chart recently. Atlanta, GA is where I live.

I think I heard/read that it is better to remove this stuff in the fall and then put something on the spaces to treat the soil for the next spring. Is that what others do?

It is good for me to attack the crab grass and other unwanted weeds--a release of tensions but it is time consuming--as is yard maintenance in general.

Two weeks ago I went on a spree and pulled out several cans full of weeds. They dare to show themselves again. Arrogant.

So I want a more aggressive plan.

tia

TakeAhike
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 10:40 AM

28,790 posts, read 45,534,733 times
Around here we put down a pre-emergent in the spring for certain types of weeds, like Crabgrass. There are also some products that kill more weeds than Weed-Be-Gon, but don't hurt Bluegrass. Not knowing what kind of grass you have in lawns down there I would recommend checking with a local garden center or read the labels at Lowes or Home Depot, etc.

The problem with pulling weeds can be twofold. If you pull a broad leaf weed like a dandelion or spurge, and leave part of the root, it just grows back from the root.

If you pull Crabgrass, Foxtail, etc, you disturb the soil and any seeds that have been sitting dormant now germinate.

Weeds are tenacious.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:09 AM

39,996 posts, read 70,698,560 times
I hates crabgrass. *grumble* [/Yosemite Sam] My lawn is about one-third crabgrass this time of year, especially after the dry weather we had earlier in the summer that gave the crabgrass space to germinate. Right now, it's just about the only green we've got in the lawn.

Crabgrass cannot be of this planet.

Tried this stuff from Gardens Alive once called WOW. Takes a couple of seasons to really get rid of the crabgrass, but it works.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:19 AM

4,493 posts, read 7,245,274 times
One precaution to take:

Make sure your blades that you cut the grass with are sharpened. Dull blades tend to "rip" grass out thereby killing your ornamental grass and it also tends to invite other "weeds" you don't want.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:23 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,059,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I think I know the answer before I ask the question.

How do you eradicate this stuff from your yard? Answer: Pull it out one clump at a time. That is what I am doing. I am in the SE/US--possibly Zone 6A or 6B/could be 5Aor B--haven't looked at the chart recently. Atlanta, GA is where I live.

I think I heard/read that it is better to remove this stuff in the fall and then put something on the spaces to treat the soil for the next spring. Is that what others do?

It is good for me to attack the crab grass and other unwanted weeds--a release of tensions but it is time consuming--as is yard maintenance in general.

Two weeks ago I went on a spree and pulled out several cans full of weeds. They dare to show themselves again. Arrogant.

So I want a more aggressive plan.

tia

TakeAhike
If your lawn is truly covered w/the stuff, you might want to think about the roundup and start over route....

Old 08-13-2008, 12:03 PM

8,862 posts, read 16,594,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
If your lawn is truly covered w/the stuff, you might want to think about the roundup and start over route....
I think you asked in a previous post what kind of grass is involved--it is Bermuda.

When I look at the yard--it looks 'severe' but no, there is more grass than crab grass. I will review my plan--which was in a moment of frustration to starting pulling up anything that wasn't grass. After this, of course, I have big bare spots--I saved some of the grass and put some soil 'Helper' on the spots. Then decided I should learn more.

We have some tenacious and prolific weeds in Georgia--a little round leafed one that grows by the second--all over everywhere and a longleafed light green weed--it rained last night and that must be what is needed for this weed to spread. Snarl--at least the tomatoes will not be threatened by this weed.

I have been trying for several years to get the back yard at least in better shape. My father would have never allowed the weeds to 'Win'. At least I have managed to 'hold the line'--could be living in a crab grass jungle.

Is fall the time for aggressive measures? My Mother did put some pre-emergent on areas in the Spring--for all I know this only stimulated the growth.

I need to come to the Gardening forum and learn what I should be doing this fall. Blueberry bushes--cut them back in the fall? How much?

A couple of years ago my Mother said, 'Trim the branches" and I did. We had no blueberries last year.

I guess I will learn. Thanks.

TakeAhike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden