Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:08 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times

Advertisements

I have looked at garden stores--much too expensive for me. I have looked some at Home Depot and Walmart. I found one garden piece that was OK.

I want a dog or cat and this seems to be 'rare'. Others have them--I admire them. Where they found them I do not know. I see them when I walk my dog and hesitate to knock on doors and ask. People in our neighborhood are rarely in their front yards--too hot and tired from fighting traffic/working all day.

I know 'that somewhere' in North GA there is a huge garden center and that is probably where I should go. I'm in Atlanta and we have plenty of places to shop but since I think $100 or more is outrageous, I cannot find the piece I want.

tia

TakeAhike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 11:30 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
There is a catalogue I order from called Design Toscano. It has nice things and I think they're quite reasonable, especially compared to garden centers.

Here's a link to their website:
Statues, Wall Sculpture, Home Decor, Fairies, Dragons, Gargoyles...Design Toscano

Old 08-13-2008, 11:38 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Im looking at ones too...

Every one I like is around or over 100$ too.

Currently looking on ebay...

These cats are neat though:
Garden Statues: garden statuary, outdoor statues, garden sculptures.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:37 PM

Thanks. I didn't have time to browse long but I liked this one, 'Puppy Parade'>>
The Puppy Parade Welcome Sculpture - JE112127 - Design Toscano (http://tinyurl.com/5eu34e - broken link)

Yesterday I saw the Pooh characters sitting on a bench in the yard. Something like that would be nice.

It will not be easy to find--but what I really want is a Lhasa Apso/ShihTzu looking dog. In Memoriam for my first Lhasa and my second Lhasa and in Honor of my current Lhasa, the Wonderful Josh. LOL--he helps me with the garden. Very important job for him. Protecting the garden. Chipmunks and rabbits scamper before him--12lbs but what a ferocious barker.

TakeAhike

Old 08-13-2008, 01:59 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
If you are ever up near Richmond, VA check out Williamsburg Pottery Factory (about halfway between Williamsburg & Richmond). It's huge! Thousands and thousands of fairly well made, inexpensive garden statues, all shapes and sizes. We got two concrete lions for the front stoop--they're about 2-3 feet tall and well made. They cost $29 each four years ago--don't know what they would be now, but the prices there are very good. They probably have a web site if you're interested.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
If you are ever up near Richmond, VA check out Williamsburg Pottery Factory (about halfway between Williamsburg & Richmond). It's huge! Thousands and thousands of fairly well made, inexpensive garden statues, all shapes and sizes. We got two concrete lions for the front stoop--they're about 2-3 feet tall and well made. They cost $29 each four years ago--don't know what they would be now, but the prices there are very good. They probably have a web site if you're interested.
I should look at their website. I once had a tour of Williamsburg and would love to go again but that is doubtful at present. They sound large enough to have some sort of lhasa like dog or something that would be symbolic of my pets.

Good Idea.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:20 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,348,325 times
Home Depot, Lowes, Target and Walmart have a lot more available online than they do in stores.
Yardiac. Alsto. Overstock. Lillian Vernon. Gardenstatueshop. Amazon. Statue dot com

Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Just google garden statues.My wife like teh bird girl in midnight i the garden of good and evil that was in the cemtery ;so I googled and found a company that make authorized copies. She love it and they have tons of them and will ship them.Many are much nicer than the one you see at lowes or garden ridge etc.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:39 PM

Thanks all--I'll get to Googling.

Interesting that Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes have more online--but good because they have virtually nothing in the stores.

I bought a boy and girl with a dog in a hammock that was reduced and then spent almost as much at Michael's buying the stain/patina. It looks pretty good now but I think Michael's overcharges on craft products. I couldn't find 'Patina' in any hardware stores and didn't know what to call it before I went to Michaels and they do have a full line of paint for things that sit outdoors--FYI. Flower pots are apparently being painted and everything else--glad to know this--that there is paint that is made for clay and ceramic items that stay outside.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:38 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
I don't know where you are in North Georgia, but at the Commerce outlet mall there used to be a Pottery Place and they had all kinds of stautuary.

Though it's been several years since I've been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden