U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 10:40 PM

855 posts, read 2,252,092 times

Advertisements

Maybe a combination birdbath/feeder?

We upgraded or satellite service a couple of weeks ago and we needed a new dish. The installer forgot and left the old one and I joked with my neighbor, "Maybe I'll make a birdbath out of it."

I had a day off and I was looking at the thing sitting in the garage and said "What the hey." I'll tell you, trying to get one of those suckers level is almost as big a pain as tuning one.

As for the colors...Our granddaughter picked the colors from paint I had on hand. The dish and the part that the LNBs attach to are spray painted gold, and the wooden feeder/feeder support are midnight blue latex. She liked them because they're like Notre Dame's colors(We're next to South Bend).

I'll let the paint cure before I put it out back and I'll probably laugh if/when I see it being used. I laughed and shook my head a couple of times after I finished it. If it actually does attract some friends I'll probably paint it with one of those fake stone paints. Just thought some folks here might get a kick out of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 10:45 PM

210,211 posts, read 80,829,334 times
Looks like an original idea to me.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:47 PM

28,717 posts, read 42,566,666 times
Good use for recycled dishes and one heck of a side business. There are plenty of school colors to chose from!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:23 AM

17,835 posts, read 30,866,402 times
hmmm I think I may have one of those dishes laying around well actually attached to the roof

great idea dlk55 !!!!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 AM

1,414 posts, read 3,400,493 times
I'll bet one sunny day you'll have a cat sleeping in there!!!! cats will sleep on any surface if its in the sun.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:38 PM

855 posts, read 2,252,092 times
I'd like to think it was an original idea but I posted it at a gardening forum I frequent as well and I've been beaten to the punch. No patent for me.

Here's a link to a couple of threads there. The one makes mine look like something someone oh, just threw paint on.

satelite dish birdbath - Garden Junk Forum - GardenWeb

How to re-purpose satellite dish - Garden Junk Forum - GardenWeb

There's some site I can't remember that shows dishes that were painted with landscapes and put out in the yard.

I've got another old dish in the basement so maybe I'll try another and do something different.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:23 AM

21,956 posts, read 22,279,394 times
Our neighbors had one of those old, huge satellite dishes and they turned it upside down, put some posts to hold it up, had flowers growing all over it and made it a place to sit under in the summer! It's so cool! They were actually married under it! Great imaginations!! I love the birdbath/feeder idea!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:25 AM

8,766 posts, read 14,188,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
hmmm I think I may have one of those dishes laying around well actually attached to the roof

great idea dlk55 !!!!!!
Karla, when we moved back in the spring and had our Dish Network moved over, the house had an outdated dish on the roof. The installer said they aren't allowed to take the old ones off because if the chance of the roof leaking where it was attached. I got the dish where we moved out of a mobile home that was stripped out. I now know what to do with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden