Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:37 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,925,299 times

Advertisements

I've noticed colors changing in the mountains here this week. But it's up high where it's hitting the 30's at night. But still, a couple weeks earlier than normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,428 times
Default trees turning early here too

I am in SW Missouri, where our trees don't normally turn until late April, I am seeing our Maples already showing some red leaves. Sassafras as well. Our Ash tree has yellow leaves showing. We have had a very wet year with our average annual total rainfall happening by late June. It has only become dry in the last week or two.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
I have noticed a few of the Blackgums with red leaves, but that's about it so far.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:51 PM

855 posts, read 2,395,725 times
There's a type of maple borer that can cause that sort of damage. I can't remember all the particulars but I believe they're called maple petiole(sp?) borers. I don't believe they're a threat to the tree's health.

Drought stress can cause it and it doesn't necessarily have to be from the year you're seeing it happen. It can be a reaction to stress from the previous year, generally before it goes dormant. There are other possible causes but I'm coming up short remembering right now. Sometimes a late freeze after they've leafed out can be trying for them as well.

One sign that a tree is in real trouble or at least "believes" it is, is if it produces an unusually large seed crop. If a tree senses it's in danger it can overproduce seed in a final attempt to reproduce itself. In some trees it's an overreaction to an unfamiliar stressor, sort of like Fred Sanford grabbing his chest and yelling, "I'm comin' to join you Elizabeth! This is the big one!" Often, the event wasn't as serious as it thought and it recovers. Severe drought or poorly timed/over pruning can cause it as well.

On the other hand, I witnessed this phenomenon in an ornamental(Golden Raintree) we have in our backyard. Every year it produced a consistent amount of flowers in July which transform into green seed pods that eventually dry out and drop, spreading the seeds like most trees do in their yearly cycles. I knew it was in decline because every year for the last 5-6 years I would prune five or six dead branches off.

Two years ago, it produced a tremendous amount of flowers/pods, more than I'd ever seen from it. Last year it leafed out later than normal and produced fewer flowers than normal. This year it was even later, and the flowering/pod production has been the least I've seen it produce. This is a fairly clear sign that the end is near for it.

If you have a tree that you're worried about that you truly enjoy, find a certified arborist to come have a look.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:18 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,151,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorrales View Post
Here in PA we are seeing some fall colors already. We had a rainy summer/spring and no really hot days until this past week (plus about 3 in July). The caterpillars are really fuzzy this year and according to my neighbor that means an early and bitter winter. It figures, my DIL's mom and aunt are coming from SoCal to see the winter colors in October.
Farmers' Almanac predicts a cold winter for most of country | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Headline | National News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/nation/stories/DN-almanac_25nat.ART.State.Edition1.4d4bb8e.html - broken link)

Quote:
• At least two-thirds of the country can expect colder-than-average temperatures this winter, with only the Far West and Southeast in line for near-normal readings.

• The Southwest will see higher-than-normal precipitation in December.

• Looking ahead to summer, near-normal temperatures are forecast. But much of the Southwest should prepare for unusually hot weather in June and July, while Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas will get oppressive July heat and humidity.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,209,711 times
I had to post here when I came across this thread as we were discussing this topic over in the Idaho forum.

I've noticed the same thing going on here and wonderd if we're going to have a very early Fall and a cold winter. Last year Fall came early in Boise, ID and our snow started in early December and went for 6 weeks. Our average snowfall is 21.4 inches, but last year we had 31 inches.

This year in the past two weeks we've had two cold fronts come through and a third one is on the way for this weekend. This strikes me as very unusual for our area and very early for this type of weather pattern. The mornings are starting to be quite cool, we've all ready had some 52 degree temperatures and I believe one morning we had a record breaking 48 degrees as a low. I was having lunch with a client and as we left the restaurant I noticed that a few of the trees appeared as if they were turning a reddish color.

This is the second year I've noticed a drastic change in our weather patterns... makes me wonder if some of those scientists are correct that we are heading towards an ice age. Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:30 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,604,680 times
Just going by "the signs" I would say southern WV is in for a harsh winter. This month has been really mild and evenings have been sweater weather. That's almost unheard of for August - the hottest month of the year. I believe we are going to see a greater number of snow days and colder than normal temperatures this coming winter. The leaves started turning early this month.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:25 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
I read an article the other day that said, according to the Farmer's Almanac, this winter will be long, cold and snowy for the Northeast and Great Lakes region. Pacific NW is supposed to be drier than normal. I have no idea what theat means for us here in Denver though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden