Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 07:15 PM

6 posts, read 22,433 times

Advertisements

Hello
About how much land is required to grow enough fruits and veggies, chickens and rabbits to feed a couple of people? A rough estimate or a link to information on the subject would be much appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 07:43 PM

209 posts, read 657,687 times
probably 2 or 3 acres. it depends on the fruits and veggies you want to grow. do you want fruit trees and bushes? or do you just want a garden.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:09 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Yeah, my guessimation is around 2 to 3 acres too!

About 4-6 apple trees, a few blueberry bushes, raspberry bushes, a couple of nut trees, pear tree and yard of 20 by 40 for about 20 to 50 chickens along with a coup of 12 by 10. A small building for rabbits.

Three acres is plenty-nough for a "couple of people".

Remember, lay-out is key!

Old 08-26-2008, 05:17 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
A half acre of veggies will fill your cupboards. A dozen hens will over run you with eggs and chickens with a small incubator. For the hens and lucky rooster I would have two pens of grass and rotate them frequently. Maybe you will find something to help guide you here:

American Small Farm Magazine Home Page (http://www.smallfarm.com/home.htm - broken link)

Best wishes.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:52 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
I am with Nomadicus on this one. I am surprised there are people who think you need 2 or 3 acres. A dozen chickens is plenty for 2 people and will provide enough eggs for family and friends, too. You don't need a rooster to have plenty of eggs. You only need a rooster if you want to raise some chicks to keep the flock growing.

A half dozen dozen rabbits is plenty - two bucks and four does are all you need to get started. Keep them in hutches on the shady side of your garage and that should be plenty of room for suitable meat production for two people. Rabbit manure is an excellent additive to add to your garden and it doesn't have to age like most other manures. Chicken manure is also excellent in the garden, but does need to age in a compost pile first.

You can grow plenty of veggies in a standard size suburbia back yard and a small greenhouse. Learn to can your fruits and veggies to maximize what you grow. You'll find it doesn't take much to stay on top of the game. Grapes are easy to grow and can be used for jelly, jams, wine, juicing, dehydrating and freezing.

There are all manner of books on the subject. Take a look at this one: www.your (broken link)backyardfarmer.com/

Old 08-27-2008, 01:10 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
Do you want my recipe for hasenpfeffer?

Old 08-28-2008, 06:07 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Do you want my recipe for hasenpfeffer?
Put that in the recipe section of the food and drink forum. Don't gross everyone out on this forum.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:02 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
You need less room than you think - less than an acre. You can have a house, garage, driveway, toolshed, 100 x 100' garden (about 1/4 acre), chicken coop, and rabbit hutches all on 3/4 acre.

The only reason I know this is that my wife's landlord at work lives downstairs from her office, and 'farms' out in the backyard. He has about 3/4 acre. Last summer, he fed 2 beef calves to a good size, on the same land! They also have a pig, rabbits, and more chickens/geese than she can count!

The key to it is they have good land. If you have any swampy spots, subtract that from the total. Good luck!

Old 08-28-2008, 08:46 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Put that in the recipe section of the food and drink forum. Don't gross everyone out on this forum.
Quite frankly, AliceT, your post surprises me. If the OP is asking how many rabbits he needs to be self-sufficient, just what do you think he is going to do with them? I hope you are not one of those mis-guided souls who thinks meat comes from the supermarket. There are lots of 'gross' things on a farm and lots of 'gross' things about being self-sufficient. Surely as a gardner, you already know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden