U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 05:16 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,190,423 times

Advertisements

So where are the best places to live and grow a vegetable garden?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 05:39 PM

4,324 posts, read 14,041,381 times
NJ the Garden State. They grow the best tomatoes and corn. Most people I know there have a vegetable and/or herb garden.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:43 PM

Okay what places besides the northeast are the best for gorwing fresh vegetables?

Old 02-01-2007, 06:01 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,905,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Okay what places besides the northeast are the best for gorwing fresh vegetables?

Lots of gardens --flower/vegetable here in GA/SE US.

We listen to Walter Reeves--'The GA Gardener' every Sat AM>>>
http://www.walterreeves.com/

We are a couple of months away from breathtaking beauty--azaleas, jonquils, dogwoods, cherry, pear, apple and peach trees transform the city each year. A few jonquils are already up/out--warm winter.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:33 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,455,878 times
Central valley of California. You stick something in the ground which is extremely rich and thick soil you can dig 7-8ft into, and it will grow beautifully. Everything grows there, oranges, peaches, grapes, apricots, figs, tomatoes, corn, lettuce, beans, radishes, cucumbers, melons, watermelons, cantaloupes. Everything and you don't need fertilizers, just make sure to frequently irrigate as in the summer there's little to no rain.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:49 PM

8,190 posts, read 29,697,864 times
I have grown veggies in MD, TX, FL, CA, and here in SC. I have never had them grow as well as they did here this past summer. There is clay in the soil here that holds the moisture. I had tomatoes until about 6 or 7 weeks ago when we had our first hard freeze.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:51 PM

I have often looked at Central California. I have a problem with lightning and have panic attacks in bad thunderstorms because of being hit by the discharge from a bolt in Florida. Central California has the least lightning in the US, and very fertile soil. But I hear it is very polluted, crowded, and miserable to so many people that live there. I was looking at the area around Sacramento and its subrurbs. But I feel like its to expensive and agressive I guess you could say. I dont know anything about the schools there. I just get the impression most of California is extremely liberal to radical. I would prefer a much more traditional place. I dont think I would fit in in California and its out of my league.

I know In Ohio wild carrrots grow, wild blackberries, wild grapes, wild strawberries. We use to grow cumcumbers and tomatos very well. I never had a better tomato than the homegrown beefsteak of cherry tomatos from Ohio(Kentucky also has VERY tastey fresh vegetables). I would like to do that outwest in a new place. Plus grow some yams, sweet potatos, fresh lettuce, pears, berries and anything else you could possibly grow.

Portland seems to have a good economy, lots of trees and fresh air, good growth, but I have never been there. It might be to overcast and rainy for me in the Pacific Northwest.

Last edited by the_pines; 02-01-2007 at 06:59 PM..

Old 02-02-2007, 10:40 AM

3,020 posts, read 24,751,837 times
Well it is probably not that simple.

Veggies will grow in lots of places but the results may not taste the same.

Example the beefsteak tomatoes in Ohio are the best, super flavor. You can grow lots of stuff in Florida or maybe CA but the flavor is questionable.

Blueberries from MN or that area don't have the taste of blueberries from Ohio or New England. Same with strawberries from different areas. I would probably take the OH, MD, KY, TN type states as the best for flavor for many of the common type veggies. The better fruits are probably more to the south. CA is the best for some things but not something like cranberries. The stuff from CA is too often geared to look well but might not taste all that good. I never grew a garden there, don't know what the results might be if you tried it with the better variety like used in a home garden.

Also depends on the type bugs, you will find.

So it might come down to which particular fruit or veggie one has in mind. No one place grows everything the best. In particular for a home garden, instead of those golf ball type stuff they grow for the supermarket. You can't beat FL for citrus, I've had the best grapefruits this vacation, I've ever had right out of the back yard.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:50 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
I have often looked at Central California. I have a problem with lightning and have panic attacks in bad thunderstorms because of being hit by the discharge from a bolt in Florida. Central California has the least lightning in the US, and very fertile soil. But I hear it is very polluted, crowded, and miserable to so many people that live there. I was looking at the area around Sacramento and its subrurbs. But I feel like its to expensive and agressive I guess you could say. I dont know anything about the schools there. I just get the impression most of California is extremely liberal to radical. I would prefer a much more traditional place. I dont think I would fit in in California and its out of my league.
There certainly is an air pollution problem in California's Central Valley, often SF Bay Area air pollution blows through the passes into the San Joaquin Valley and if there's an inversion, it stays for awhile.
There are lots of open areas around Modesto, Ceres, Turlock, Merced, etc. where you can still be close to the "city" and have a more rural piece of land to grow on. Even a large yard in town would be enough for most people who love gardening. Although it is expensive and overpriced in many of the cities right now, property values and prices are crashing in Central California and the bubble has been bursting since 2005. I grew up there and I remember the vegetable gardens well.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:07 AM

464 posts, read 720,808 times
My Mother grew up in the San Joaquin Valley (Fresno) area I still have family there, my uncle would have the best garden with lots of vegies and fruit trees. Alot of smog thats for sure and in the winter fog, my Mom would tell us they didn't have snow days for school but fog days, very scary to try and drive in the fog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden