Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:21 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,963 times

Advertisements

I'm overwhelmed with cucumbers - does anyone know a way to preserve them apart from pickling? Don't want to use salt for health reasons, as in pickles, though a bit of salt is OK. I can't make as good dill pickles as in the store anyway.

I know they can't be frozen like beans, but anything else? I'm swamped with cukes!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:48 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Pickling is the prime way to preserve pickles.
You can store them at 45-50 degrees for a short period of time. Check for softness from time to time. Storing them along with fruits will cause them to go soft quickly, so be sure if you want to store them that they are separated from fruits that produce ethelene.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,350,347 times
A friend of mine told me once how her mother used to grate and freeze them. Some were used in salad during the winter and some were used to make bread, I guess like you might use zucchini. I had never heard of either before. Maybe this is a Dutch thing or Canadian..... she is Dutch, but moved to Canada as a little girl. If you are interested, I will try to find out exact directions.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:53 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,627 times
You can pickle them using vinegar without brine. Add a little sugar for taste.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:04 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
A friend of mine told me once how her mother used to grate and freeze them. Some were used in salad during the winter and some were used to make bread, I guess like you might use zucchini. I had never heard of either before. Maybe this is a Dutch thing or Canadian..... she is Dutch, but moved to Canada as a little girl. If you are interested, I will try to find out exact directions.

If it's possible to freeze them and use in winter salads (ohhh the smell of fresh cukes in winter) then it would be perfect! I was under impression that cucumbers lose their "face" if you freeze them - meaning, when you un-freeze them, what will they be like? As opposite to peas/beans/carrots -they can be cooked fresh and they can be cooked thawed. Though I can see them added to breads. It would be great if you found out directions.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:04 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
You aren't really swamped until they start to rot...
Cukes are 95% water, so putting a huge amount of effort and energy into preserving them doesn't make much sense. Supposedly, if you remove the peel, which can turn bitter, and slice them, you can dehydrate them into little coasters. I guess those could be substituted for something like rice crackers or used for dipping chips. I don't think they would re-hydrate very well.

I've heard of people using the peels as ant repellant, but IME, the ants just walked around them.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:25 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,200 times
Here is a link with a lot of good ideas :

My Garden Runneth Over | Ask Metafilter

Old 09-03-2008, 12:45 AM

103 posts, read 783,360 times
Wash,peel,slice,let drain.Mix with italian dressing,put in ziplock and freeze.
Cooks.com - Recipes - Freezing Cucumbers

Old 07-10-2010, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 105,921 times
Default cucumber abundance

I have made sweet relish, sweet relish w/onions
dill relish, dill relish w/onions, and dill relish with hot
peppers. All these are great for potato salad, egg,
ham, and chicken salad, deviled eggs. Put in half pints
and pint jars so as to use as much as need for your recipes and no waste.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
You can pickle them using vinegar without brine. Add a little sugar for taste.
that is what I was going to suggest, maybe a very little salt. Most of the recipes we now use have almost no salt or you brine them for a day and then rinse all the salt off, maybe rinsing 2 or 3 times.

We make sweet or dill relish with ours or with our zuchinni. Again, we use very little salt. Oh, and don't say you can't make your pickles as good as those you buy. Practice makes perfect. We started doing pickles about 25 years ago and used hundreds of different recipes plus trying all kinds of ways. We now have them down perfect. We know what is in them, know how fresh everything is and yes, they are as good as we can buy, actually they are much better. The secret is using the cukes within no more than 48 hours from picking, preferable 24. No, just keeping them in the fridge until you are ready to use, will not be the same. One more secret, when bathing them, do not bring the water to a boil, but bath them at about 180 to 185 degrees.

I really don't think there is another way. Of course you can try grating and freezing, you have nothing to lose.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden