U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:40 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,770,781 times

Advertisements

I need links for nurseries and buying flowers. Can you help? Thanks so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 01:15 PM

42,580 posts, read 56,752,520 times
Why not 'google' for nurseries in your locale? Just type in nurseries or garden centers for your location. Since you did not mention where you're located, it will be difficult for people to recommend any for you.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Why not 'google' for nurseries in your locale? Just type in nurseries or garden centers for your location. Since you did not mention where you're located, it will be difficult for people to recommend any for you.
Thank you, I would like to get links for nurseries out of my state that I can get either a catalog, or buy on line. When I gogleed it, I always get the big companies, like Spring Hill Nursery, Burpee Seeds, etc. I would like to reach others.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:40 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,486,275 times
Here are some links for some unique seeds, specialty, old-fashioned plants, etc. that might be of use to you.

George Washington's Mount Vernon: George Washington's Mount Vernon - Online Store

Victory Seed Company: Heirloom seeds, Open-pollinated seeds, Non-hybrid Seeds, Supplies, Gifts at the Main Catalog Page for VictorySeeds.com (http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/index.html - broken link)

Osborne Seed Company: OSBORNE INTERNATIONAL SEED COMPANY

Thomas Jefferson's Monticello: Plants & Seeds

Nature Hills Nursery: Trees, Plants, Bushes, and Shrubs offered by Nature Hills Nursery

Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,177,972 times
This is one of my favorites if you are wanting inexpensive trees and shrubs:

The scoop on 'Vernon Barnes and Son Nursery'

Another one that I really like is :

Forestfarm Plant Nursery: Ornamental and Useful Plants from Around the World!

They have very good quality plants, that are shipped in tubes.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,841,045 times
Default Rubies77

...here are a few which i have used:

interested in acquiring "uncommon" bulbs?.. 'odyssey bulbs' in Massachusetts and 'telos rare bulbs' out here in CA. both sites offer many rare or hard to find selections..
..odyssey especially has a wide selection of stunning species rarely offered extensively in the united states..

looking for seeds of natives?... 'Missouri wildflowers nursery' and 'native american seed' offer good selections..

lastly,..if you are looking on ebay,look up 'my little plants'... they sell starter sized specimens and seem to have a good selection. ...and their plants are quality..i recently ordered from them..plan on doing so again in the future..

the only thing to keep in mind is that if you are looking to order plants..maker sure they can ship them to your area..some states have regulations...

Last edited by si33; 09-01-2008 at 09:38 PM..

Old 09-01-2008, 09:44 PM

18,460 posts, read 39,014,545 times
It would help to know where the OP lives. Some nurseries only sell plants that perform well in that region.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It would help to know where the OP lives. Some nurseries only sell plants that perform well in that region.
This OP lives in NYC. Thank you,

Old 09-01-2008, 10:11 PM

855 posts, read 2,313,269 times
This site has ratings for mail order companies provided by people who actually order from them.

Guide to Gardening by Mail, Mail Order Gardening, and Catalogs

It has their top 30 on the initial page, you can search by zip code to find companies near you and near the bottom you can browse by category or state. For those not living in the USA, you can browse by country. The U.K., Canada and Australia have the most listed.

When you select a category to browse you can refine it to list them by rating, which is what I generally do. This is a link to "Plants: Perennial Flowers", sorted by positive rating. They go by percentage of positive ratings.

Advanced Search

On the menu on the left is a feature called "Plant Scout". Search for your plant and it will return vendors that sell it. It can be picky at times so try the botanical name if the common name doesn't return anything and vice versa. Here's a search for "Coneflower" using that feature.

Searching for plants, seeds and roots

As for myself, I like Moonshine Designs in Illinois. I've ordered from them several times and have never been disappointed. They also have an eBay store and you can find some bargains in their auctions.

Moonshine Designs

Old 09-02-2008, 12:12 AM

1,830 posts, read 5,127,438 times
This little family-owned place is not too far from me. I love to go there and walk through the gigantic greenhouses of blooms. Click on the "nursery picture gallery" to see what I mean. http://orchids.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden