Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 11:15 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,268,693 times

Advertisements

I am all excited, I had never heard about this. I imagine many of you will have already heard and will think I'm silly... But I had to share for those out there like me who are new to gardening overall and had no clue.

My local "events"/alternative newspaper clued me in to the 10 free trees with a membership ($10) to the Arbor Day Foundation. I'm super excited, but I was wondering if anyone knew if it was only for August? The newspaper said August, but the website doesn't seem to specify any kind of limitation on when you join. I won't have any extra money until September so I hope it is still available next week.

The website is:
The Arbor Day Foundation

For my zip I have quite a few choices. I think I'll go with the free flowering trees (white dogwood, golden raintrees, and redbuds)....I love flowering trees, and most of these are smaller, which works with my fairly small yard.

Oh, and I also found another site with free plants, you pay shipping only and they give disabled workers jobs (packing/shipping) so it seems awesome all around. I didn't explore the site at length yet, but I noticed you could get 2 crape myrtles for the $7.95 shipping cost. Sounds like quite a deal!! Those babies aren't cheap, even the last 2 I bought on sale were about $7 a piece for a 1 gal.

The website is:

freetreesandplantshome

Hope this brings someone some extra GREEN joy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 11:40 AM

604 posts, read 4,613,927 times
I've always been interested in how big these trees actually are. I always assumed the were tiny 5inch trees. Anyone offer some personal experinece? I'm very impatient, I have builder trees that have remained 8' high for 2+ years now.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:50 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,528,979 times
Unless they have changed, the 'free' trees are very tiny...besides. I never figured $10 for some seedling trees is 'free' !
Also, unless they have changed, you will be billed every year for your "dues".

Old 08-30-2008, 10:13 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,124,900 times
The trees come rubber banded together and are single twig and about 1'. Each tree has a little paint mark on it to help ID each tree (comes with a piece of paper telling you what color dot represents the name/species of the tree). I have not had much luck with these trees and unfortunately all have died on me. One great program our Parks department does in Cincinnati is offer a "free tree program" each fall and it is sponsored by Duke Energy. Every household in Cincinnati can apply for a free tree as long as it is planted within 30 feet of the curb in the front of the house. There are usually about 5 trees to select from each year. I have a crabapple, dogwood, 2 magnolias, and blue spruce. These trees are usually about 5' tall and the spruce is about 2' tall. (But they are all healthy trees and growing quickly..even the spruce!). I would suggest you contact your local parks group and find out if there is any program like that. I lived in Cincy for a couple years before I found out about it. Sure, you have to apply for them and get the planting location approved (which is important for someone who would not know there is a little planning invovled in planting a tree) but I go pick up mine and have started planting them throughout hte neighborhood as well.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:11 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,552,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post
I've always been interested in how big these trees actually are. I always assumed the were tiny 5inch trees. Anyone offer some personal experinece? I'm very impatient, I have builder trees that have remained 8' high for 2+ years now.

Buy Fruit Tree Spikes and break them in half. Not Shade Tree, Fruit Tree.

Place them 12" apart about 12" outside the original hole. Water over the spikes, not in the original hole.

Do the same next year, but place them an additional 12" outside the original hole (24" away).

Do it again a third year (36") and the roots should be well outside the original hole and the tree should start growing.

What happens is the roots are sitting in an environment of nice soil and are are getting everything they need, so they stay there. There is usually a hard wall at the edge of the hole from when it was dug, which does not help matters. It's called being root bound. Placing the fertilizer stakes away from the hole induces the roots to break through the edge and spread out.

Our Kentucky Coffee Bean sat for two years and did nothing. This method was recommended by a nurseryman and it worked wonders. You should see it now!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The descriptions given above are what I received when I got trees from the county, which is an option to pursue.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:50 AM

604 posts, read 4,613,927 times
I've seen the tree spikes, bought a box and they were crumbled inside so I took them back. I try putting solution in the root waterer, I fertizlize after lifting up the grass w/ shovel, etc. Next time i'll try the fruit spikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden