Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 03:52 PM

78 posts, read 195,815 times

Advertisements

Perennial Swap...

I want to organize a pernnial swap in our area this fall. Does anyone know what can be divided or where to find the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 05:10 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,022,776 times
Default borntobeme

...as far as perennials go,..there are many which can be divided successfully...iris..both bearded and siberian,day lilies,canna and calla lilies,phlox,many perennial grasses,as well as many others...for specific info on these as well as others you may be considering,..check out dave's garden...there is a ton of information on this site....other places to check out include garden web...and other online gardening communities....
...whats great about promoting locally grown plants..or promoting your own stock is that you can control the quality...they will be better adapted,..or take less time to acclimate...and when satisfied with the quality of your plants,..customers will return for more and spread the word about how satisfied they were ...a perfect example..
...reciently i looked to aquire tabebuia saplings/seeds...the seeds id ordered failed to germinate...and just looking at the seed id recieved,..they all looked dried out....tabebuia seeds,like plumeria and several others, are one of those types which has a short viability when harvested...ive heard that the seeds won't germinate 7-14 days to 3 months after the seed pods open...the seeds id recieved looked dried out and the seed embryo itself was black,usually a sign that it won't develop once planted
.....after attempting them, i looked online to see if anyone was offering sapling sized plants...on ebay, i found a store which sold them at a reasonable price..i was shocked when they arrived in the mail 2 days after they shipped...in the description,..the saplings were listed as "6-8",well rooted and ready to plant"....not only were they well rooted,...they were/are closer to 12" plants..i was more then satisfied...and will order from them again in the future...

Old 08-29-2008, 07:23 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,332,897 times
You might look for a corporate sponser to help promote your event. Our local newspaper that comes out twice a week sponsors a spring and a fall event in the parking lot of their offices. There are some in neighboring communities that are held at the local farmer's market.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:51 AM

103 posts, read 781,353 times
Lot's of info here.
The GardenWeb Forums - GardenWeb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden