Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 03:58 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times

Advertisements

As my garden begins its slow wind-down, I'm wondering which plants should not be placed in the compost pile. I have pumpkins, corn, squash, cucumbers, cantaloupe, watermelon, tomatoes, green beans, rhubarb, and peppers.

I'm thinking the tomatoes and rhubarb. Any other plants that I should avoid composting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 06:33 PM

746 posts, read 2,175,459 times
As a kid, my parents threw it all in. Also, any vegetable or fruit scraps from the kitchen. As long as it's plant matter, I haven't heard of any issues. Too many pine needles may not be good though, and definitely not meat scraps of any kind.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:11 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I know I've heard NOT tomato plants - not sure about your other plants, sorry. Hopefully, someone knowledgeable will post.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:14 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I think the main problem with tomatoes is that the seeds sprout like crazy. In which case, I would just pull them up and let the new plants compost too.

Since most tomatoes are hybirds, the chance of getting a good plant from these second time around plants might be pretty slim.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:08 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I think the main problem with tomatoes is that the seeds sprout like crazy. In which case, I would just pull them up and let the new plants compost too.

Since most tomatoes are hybirds, the chance of getting a good plant from these second time around plants might be pretty slim.
Actually funny you say that. I did throw some tomatoes in last year and yes, I had a few sprout this year. I kept a few, and they are actually producing fruit but it is still green.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:28 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,334 times
Here's a great link Basic Information | Composting | US EPA As for seeds, the proper heating of your compost should kill all seeds. Its a good idea to get a thermostat to monitor your composts temp. Enjoy...your hard work will pay off with black gold and happy plants!

Old 09-01-2008, 02:48 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
As my garden begins its slow wind-down, I'm wondering which plants should not be placed in the compost pile. I have pumpkins, corn, squash, cucumbers, cantaloupe, watermelon, tomatoes, green beans, rhubarb, and peppers.

I'm thinking the tomatoes and rhubarb. Any other plants that I should avoid composting?

As a poster mentioned about the tomatoes, if all goes well, the heat should kill the seeds. You may get a sprout from time to time, but that can be easily plucked.

Corn cobs take forever to compost. I personally leave 'em out and burn the cobs along with stalks. Others shred 'em with the shredder and then throw 'em in the compost. To each their own...

Pine needles are o.k to compost, but not too many. It's the same principle with ashes; a minute ratio is needed to composting methods.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:13 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Your compost heap will only get hot if you keep a steady supply of either green waste or animal manure going in and frequently turning the pile. Turn the heap at least twice a week and lightly moisten it between the layers. I have had my compost heaps get to over 165 degrees in the core. I am a gardener and have 9 yards that I bring grass clippings and leaves from. I also have 4 rabbits and 30 chickens for the manure. If you do not have manure or a steady source of green clippings, buy a bag of cheap rabbit food or alfalfa pellets from your feed store and sprinkle it between the layers of your compost heap. Layer it like a cake with the manure as the fillings. Also a small heap will lose its heat and moisture rapidly, a good size is 4 feet wide at the base and 3 to 4 feet hight. I make mine like a volcano is shape, I use a metal spike to pierce holes into the heap, it allows heat to move throughout the heap.. I can turn manure, clippings, food scraps, weeds and leaves into rich, dark and crumbly compost in less than three weeks.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:50 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
A few years back I had just a very small garden. Instead of raking the leaves in the fall, I have always just mulched them with my mower and leave them there. That one year I hauled the mulched leaves to the garden, then went to a horse stable for a few wash tubs of manure. I spread that over the top of the leaves them put my tiller to work. Didn't do anything else to it Ground was ready the next spring!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:28 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
The issue with tomato plants is the fungi (fusarium wilts, etc.) that may perpetuate in the compost heap.

The tomatoes themselves shouldn't pose a problem unless you're a lazy composter like I am -- I incorporated compost into a newly tilled flower garden this spring, and wound up with dozens of tomato plants!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden