U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2008, 02:01 PM

14,163 posts, read 25,757,504 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else ever found the "Trick or Treat" variety of pansies? They're a mixture of black and orange pansies and I planted them two years ago in my flower boxes around my front porch. I planted them in mid-September and by October, they really took off and looked perfect for Halloween, and finally took them out in early December (they were still blooming that late in Denver) because they looked dumb with Christmas decorations! I got tons of comments on them too. Last year I couldn't find any at my local nursery, so I'm wondering if they're rare. I'll look for them again this weekend.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 10:12 PM

899 posts, read 2,798,069 times
Hi
I was noisy so I searched trick or treat pansys and found them at
Denverplants.com
I'm about ready to re-do our window boxes with winter pansy's but all colors
Happy gardening

Old 09-14-2008, 12:59 PM

5,065 posts, read 15,160,207 times
They are sold in some places in the fall here, too. They don't seem to do so well on the north side of our house, too much cold wind I think, but they will last until November on the south side.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:55 AM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 821,708 times
Just ordered the trick or treat pansy seeds online from Territorial Seed Co.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:00 PM

14,163 posts, read 25,757,504 times
I found them at my local nursery Sunday and planted them in my flower boxes - the summer flowers were a little dry and past their prime anyway. But this time the variety was called "Scaredy Cat". Each 4-pack had two black and two orange, so I just mixed them up. The garden center didn't have many of them, and they were mixed in with the tons of other colors. I've never seen anyone else with them, so they always get lots of comments.

Since I love gardening and flowers, and I live in Denver, I fill my flower boxes the first week of March with pansies, then replace them in early May with summer flowers, then mid September back to pansies, so I have something blooming for a solid 9 months. I had a big pot on the front steps with the smaller pansies - yellow and orange - that I planted last March. By mid May, they were so tall they fell over and looked bad, so I chopped them down to the nub and hid them in the shade in the back yard all summer, watering once in a while. Now they're blooming again and perfect to set back out in front of the house, so my experiment worked, and I'll have more fall color.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:51 PM

1,771 posts, read 6,190,029 times
hey, great idea keeping them in the shade during the summer. I will have to try that next time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden