Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 10:34 AM

287 posts, read 897,226 times

Advertisements

I'm in Phoenix and most I know have already started their fall/winter gardens so I needed to jump on the band wagon quickly. I started my seeds in the little peat pods and after 2 days *poof* they were already out and running. It's still 100 degrees and over at times so I'm doing this inside. The broccolli was up first and now, a week later, is about 4-5' or so of spindly seedlings. Why? I'm trying to supplement my southern facing light with grow lights in the pm. 'Cause of the heat I'm afraid to transplant them yet but I wasn't expecting everything to be 2"-5" high in 1 week!!! (I should say that most of these seeds are organic, although I don't think the broccolli is). SO what I need help with is:
1. How & when to transplant these (or should I just move them to bigger pots first) &
2. Will it be worth transplanting them if they are spindly things?
I should also mention that its been quite a while since I've had a garden.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 10:40 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times
Leggy seedlings is usually due to too little light and/or too much heat. It can also be the wrong type of soil, or too much fertilizer.

I'm not an expert on all types, but with tomaotes and other seedings gone spindly, I'd prick out the seedlings and plant them deeper, bringing the soil level up nearer the leaves.

Keep them well lit, but not direct heat. Put a fan on the area if it gets too hot.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Spindly plants can be from many factors, such as over feeding (high nitrogen is one factor), over watering with extreme heat along with insufficent lighting. Horemonal stimulants can cause rapid spindly growing plants.
Ideal growing temps for vegies is genearally between 65 degrees and 95 degrees. Outside of that range are extremes that can be detrimental to succcessful growing.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:27 PM

287 posts, read 897,226 times
I would say its not more than 80 where I'm growing them. Maybe the light could be the factor. Kind of feel like I'm in the Little Shop of Horrors with the way these plants are growing...

Old 09-24-2008, 01:26 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Wean them from the indoors and put them outside to "climatize." This will strengthen them. Start by putting them out a few hours in the morning, watering them well first. Then, extend how long they're outside. The strong ones will survive and thrive. When they're stronger, you can transplant them.

I do this with all of my seedlings and it works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden