U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 05:59 PM

942 posts, read 2,496,956 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what kind of perrenials I can plant now to bloom in the spring?? I live in Miami.

I miss seeing my tulips in early spring. I use to live in Illinois; miss my seasons.

Any help os great thanks!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 07:52 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,855,558 times
....there in south Floida,..your choices for perennials are limited only by their tolerance to your general climate...ie: plants which will tolerate the humidity

...because your spring generally starts around the end of January..if not
sooner..anything you will plant will flower much sooner then anyone else...

..plants id recommend include:

Germander sage (Salvia chamaedryoides) which gets about 2'x2' with bright blue flowers and will flower profusely most if not all year in frost free areas...

autumn sage (Salvia greggii) another low growing sage species which will flower year round under similar climate conditions it has flowers which can be red,orange,pink,white,or coral..

...there are several more tropical Salvia species which will work well
in your area...including Gentain sage,scarlet sage and a few others...

...most Coreopsis should do well in south Florida..the thread leaved varities including 'Moonbeam', 'Zagreb',and 'Crem brule' are quite nice and stay fairly neat (generally1'-2'x2')..they also flower robustly during warm
weather..

...about the only perennial type plants you might want to avoid are any
which are better adapted to cooler areas.( columbine,delphinium..etc)..as they generally cannot tolerate the humidity or will quickly succumb to fungal diseases..or insect pests...

..other than that,..there are all sorts of perennials which will survive over
perfectly fine there...which die out with the lightest touch of frost
anywhere else..even here in California....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden