Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 02:46 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,793 times

Advertisements

Coastal CA. not much rain here, but some areas in town have high groundwater. some mature trees, like pines, have died or toppled over. any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 04:03 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,059 times
Populus species--poplars, salix species--willows. They both like water, willows more than poplars. Willows thrive in damp and wet areas.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:27 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,539,238 times
Does tamarack (aka larch) grow there? It's a deciduous soft wood. It turns a beautiful golden yellow in the fall before dropping its needles.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:36 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,949,730 times
Bald cyprus

Old 10-20-2008, 06:49 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Bald cyprus
I forgot about bald cypress, aka swamp cypress. Latin name is Taxodium distichum. I bought one in a 2 inch pot 18 years ago, it is now over 8 feet tall and in an intact wine barrel. it has been immersed in water the whole time. It is a deciduous tree, the foliage turns bright yellow orange in the fall and comes in a beautiful light green in the spring. From a little thing smaller than a pencil, it now has a trunk nearly a foot across at the base. At one time I had it in a pond where I used to live, but dug it up when I had to move away. In the ground it will grow fairly fast.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:34 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,220,880 times
Bald Cypress is very good for damp and even standing water areas. These will also live on drier soil. I have one and they are nice trees. Hardy as well. I think these grow in a large zone range... like zones 5-10 I think.

As far as pine trees go - the Pond pine is a good choice. They thrive in very moist/wet soils. I have one, but its not on any wetlands. Keep in mind, these are a zone 6 and higher tree. They do not like temperatures below 0°, but if you are in coastal CA, it would be fine. These are most common in the southeastern United States, where they are native.
Here is an image of a Pond pine.

Also Oaks like someone else mentioned. Weeping willows, Willow Oaks (down to zone 6), Black Willows and maybe even Southern Live Oaks, but I do not think they will grow in standing waters and the others and these are zone 6b and higher.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 10-20-2008 at 09:44 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 10:06 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Coastal CA. not much rain here, but some areas in town have high groundwater. some mature trees, like pines, have died or toppled over. any suggestions?

River Birch, Bald Cypress, American Sweet Gum, Black Gum, Water Oak, and Maple are just some of the trees that do good in wet conditions.

busta

Old 10-22-2008, 05:52 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Does tamarack (aka larch) grow there? It's a deciduous soft wood. It turns a beautiful golden yellow in the fall before dropping its needles.
Not sure? but I'll look into it. Thanks for the replies all.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Weeping willows. Their roots spread out and can be fairly strong in shallow wet conditions. The trees are messy. Branches break off easily. This is good since the branches break in winds rather than pulling the tree over. I have also seen willows just pulled back up after being blown over.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:30 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I forgot about bald cypress, aka swamp cypress. Latin name is Taxodium distichum. I bought one in a 2 inch pot 18 years ago, it is now over 8 feet tall and in an intact wine barrel. it has been immersed in water the whole time. It is a deciduous tree, the foliage turns bright yellow orange in the fall and comes in a beautiful light green in the spring. From a little thing smaller than a pencil, it now has a trunk nearly a foot across at the base. At one time I had it in a pond where I used to live, but dug it up when I had to move away. In the ground it will grow fairly fast.
Just a little bit of trivia for you all, the "bald cypress" is actually a relative of the Sequoia and Redwood and is not a cypress at all. It does drop its needle-like leaves in the winter and blossoms in the spring. The BC trees down here in north Louisiana are already shades of red and rust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden