Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 01:48 PM

23 posts, read 218,945 times

Advertisements

We keep adding mulch and compost along with fertilizer and who knows what else my husband has tried. But, the plants come up just above the dirt then just kind of sit there. What can we do to make a thriving garden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 01:22 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,055 times
...adding the compost,as you've indicated, is probabaly the best way to
ammend overly sandy..or,as is the case here in central calif.,clay soil..

...depending on what is planted,..some plants will rest after they are
initally set in the ground,spending time establishing a root system instead
of pushing alot of growth...if the plants are healthy,just continue a
regular watering schedule and wait for spring when they should begin to
resume active growth... if,at that time,they are'nt growing, there may be
something else in the soil inhibiting growth..

Old 10-31-2008, 11:21 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
You may want to try some raised beds.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:36 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Some crops do much better than others here on our sand. Unless it is pure sand things like green beans and blackeyed peas grow well with minimum care. Okra also grows well on the sand as long as nematodes are not present. Summer squash will normally grow with some fertilizer. I would pay a visit to the local county agents office for specific info for each type of crop that you with to grow. Also get a nematode test if you can. They may be the problem. Check the roots on those things that come up and stop growing for nematode damage.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:09 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
Wow, I rarely did anything to the ground before planting seeds or transplanting flowers.

Much depends on what the plants needs are. For example, impatiens do best in the shade as do spider plants and most ferns.

My tomato plants were usually started in little peat pots with potting soil and then transferred to the sand and then a layer of straw or newspaper was put down over the base to protect the young roots from the heat of the sun. I always transplant things in the evening, on snad that is well watered down and cooled. That gives the roots time to adjust a bit before the heat of the morning and next afternoon arrive. But always put something over the base of the plant to protect the little roots from the sun.

Flowers that have been started in little plastic pots might need a bit more care, but rarely an additive. Pay attention to whether the plant can tolerate full sun or not. That's usually the key. And water, water, water. Water in the morning before the sun is high in the sky and again in the evening with luke warm water. feel the temperature of the water before watering from the garden hose. Often, if the hose has been in the sun all day, it will spew out hot water at first. Make sure you aren't par boiling them when you water your plants. The same can happen to water in a watering can left in the sun for just one day. Feel it before you put it on your plants.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:02 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Nematodes, salt intrusion, soil too sweet, drainage too fast. Florida sand doesn't turn into soil. It tolerates the addition of mulch for up to a year while the nematodes and other organisms eat it, then goes back to being sand. We found that anything less than a foot of composted mulch was gone within a year.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I grow native plants. They do quite well.
For flowers and vegies, I plant them in pots with storebought soil.
My herb garden is in just plain old Florida dirt and it seems to do fine with little to no soil amendment.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:35 AM

47 posts, read 147,738 times
make your own compost from the land in which the plant is growing. just grab a few items put it in a bag let decompose! or get some manure apply it as compost! that or go digging in the woods for soil then.....

Or try this whatever plant it is say for instance an apple tree....plant two or three more seeds...plants grow quick in numbers....if it has stop growing...you want it to grow faster...give it some company it will help change the soil into its very own delight!
Also the plants will grow into one plant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden