Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 05:35 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
hmmmm, that's interesting! I can't help but wonder if he has soil that is naturally on the alkaline side. Where we are, the soil is known to be acid everywhere.
That could very well be -- I hadn't considered that since I'm rather clueless about pH naturally occurring. I should have mentioned I'm in northeast Florida.

Quote:
Flowers can add so much to a house. I have to wonder about people that don't have anything except GREEN. Even a pot of Mums or Geraniums on the porch to add a tiny spot of color would help.
So true! All I had was builder's green, so I added some pentas this year (not a great choice since some did well and others didn't for whatever reason).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 07:26 AM

266 posts, read 547,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
... Flowers can add so much to a house. I have to wonder about people that don't have anything except GREEN. Even a pot of Mums or Geraniums on the porch to add a tiny spot of color would help.
Well wonder no more! At least in my case ... I wish I could keep flowers of ANY kind. Once I planted a ton of flowers, one spring morning I awoke to a lovely array ... came home and all the heads were eaten off by deer. I cannot hang my pots high enough either - I've seen 'em standing up and reaching into the baskets. They do not like lavendar at all so I planted as much as I could - some took and are very hearty each year, others did not .. but how much lavendar can you have .. I'd like more of a variety.

Now I am trying to add color with different shades of green. Also, since I put up stakes with a thin mesh around (not really visible from the road) I may put some flower pot hangers amongs the bushes where they cannot get at them. Doesn't make for the best looking landscape, but I would like some flowers.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:14 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Audrey Ann - I was going to suggest you visit the thread about deer, but I see you've already been there! Ill be adding my two cents to that thread shortly.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Anyone use pine needles as a mulch?

This is my first winter in a house with eight white pines. Which means I now have pine needles-a-mundo. Bags and bags that I've raked up, since it looked like it might be killing the grass. Now what to do with it?

I'm thinking of making a 2-3" layer of mulch in a very large rose garden. The garden has 8 knockout roses, a dogwood, a crape myrtle, as well as an assortment of butterfly bushes, spireas, nandinas, boxwoods, mums, peonies, iris, a hibiscus, and about 1,000 daffodil bulbs (just planted). Since these are mostly acidic plants, my guess is the pine needles would be beneficial and also keep the roses warm (we're expecting a cold winter). But I've never tried it, so I'm a little leery. Any thoughts? Also, would the pine needles hurt my daffodils?

I was wondering about using pine needles too, just wondered if they needed to be treated to prevent getting termites and other pests into your flower beds and around your house?

Old 10-15-2013, 01:50 PM

9,717 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drichey View Post
I was wondering about using pine needles too, just wondered if they needed to be treated to prevent getting termites and other pests into your flower beds and around your house?
I never treated my pine needles, and continue layering them (year after year) and extending walking paths through my flower gardens. Never had a problem. Like you, I have tons of those, thanks to my many long needle pine trees. I've never put them around the foundation of our house, though.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:00 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Many a good folk in Georgia and neighboring states make a good living selling loads and loads of pine straw for mulch. I used it for 30 years in Atlanta and never heard of anybody doing anything to it. It is baled by machine and hauled all over the place. It's too expensive here in N.C. or I would use it still.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:59 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drichey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Many a good folk in Georgia and neighboring states make a good living selling loads and loads of pine straw for mulch. I used it for 30 years in Atlanta and never heard of anybody doing anything to it. It is baled by machine and hauled all over the place. It's too expensive here in N.C. or I would use it still.

If you live anywhere in the mid to deep south it is probably the most common mulch. Like No Kudzu I've never heard of treating it either. Pine straw is supposed to be the least likely mulch to be attractive to termites. The standard advice is to keep the mulch free of the foundation and leave several inches of unmulched ground so that termite tunnels can be spotted.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:13 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I always used armloads of pine needles for mulch over the rhododendrons because they have shallow roots and they like acidic soil. I had zillions of pine trees so it was just a matter of transferring the pine needles to the rhodos.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:42 AM

9,717 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I always used armloads of pine needles for mulch over the rhododendrons because they have shallow roots and they like acidic soil. I had zillions of pine trees so it was just a matter of transferring the pine needles to the rhodos.
Great, aren't they? Benefits for acid loving plants are tremendous. Plus, wheel barreling loads of pine needles is one of my favorite garden chores. My pine needle walking paths wind through my flowers and plantings, leading to seating arrangements and nooks/crannies.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Down here in the deep south just about everyone uses pine needles as mulch, especially Longleaf and Slash pine needles. The pine needles here are typically about a foot long, hence the term "pine straw". The above poster was correct in saying that azaleas, hollies, and camellias thrive in a layer of pine needles. My blueberry bushes are under some pine trees and I get a large crop every year without the use of any fertilizer. There is an elderly man in my town that goes along the roadsides raking up pine straw every year. He bales it up right there on the back of his pickup and sells it.
SNL I am jealous. I have to buy pine straws for my blueberries & azaleas.

BTW, do your blueberries get enough sun under pine trees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden