U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 05:47 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,509,263 times

Advertisements

I wanted to post a thread asking what is your favorite palm? But I wanted some specific info on the elusive Canary Island palm that much of the warm areas enjoy. I believe the Canary Island date palm is the most expensive tree in the country, with mature trees costing in the tens of thousands; There have been many greenhouses robbed of them in So CA. So my questions are, has anyone purchased these palms and had good luck with them? What size did you purchase them at? How fast did they grow?

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 08:35 PM

18,383 posts, read 37,920,298 times
I haven't grown them myself, but they are growing successfully here in coastal Alabama where it sometimes gets below freezing.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:02 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I haven't grown them myself, but they are growing successfully here in coastal Alabama where it sometimes gets below freezing.
Are these plants new to AL? Or did they start importing them fairly recently? There has been such a heavy demand on them in places like Las Vegas, AZ and other sunbelt areas. Those palms have that "Las Vegas" style butchered look. Supposedly, it really stresses the palms to have so much of its canopy cut like that; they call it a "pineapple cut" and some people like it. Do you see these palms in peoples yards at all in AL?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:45 PM

Those palms in that picture were planted about 3-4 years ago at a development in Orange Beach. They looked like telephone poles when they first brought them in, they had them stacked in a pile wrapped in plastic. I am curious how well they will fare if we have an unusually cold winter though, but so far so good. I have seen a few in peoples yards, but they are usually much younger. Not nearly as common as sago palms. How well the Date palms withstand hurricanes remains to be seen since they didn't evolve with them.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:59 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,801,935 times
here in the san francisco bay area, you see this species of date palm everywhere...often too much..and here, they do fantastic,if properly maintained..

The great thing about them is their overall appearance once they gain a good sized trunk...next to the chilean wine palm,they have one of the most-massive looking trunks...and make outstanding canopy scapes where placed correctly..

The not so great atributes are that..if placed in a spot which is too small..they are much too large...and if happy,as many here in south San Jose ( zone 9b-maybe 10a??; sunset 15-16) are,..they can seed prolifically.. ive worked in yards where hundreds of seedlings were huddled beneath the canopy,..or scattered about a given yard...and here, they develop fairly rapidly for such a large palm species. still, it will take a few more years to see them reach a good,adolescent sized specimen..as the op stated, ive seen larger specimens go for thousands or much less,depending ofcorse on size...

..overall,for a palm,it is also quite hardy..and i wouldn't be suprised to see them being tested in cooler areas..infact,i believe i saw afew in southern alabama while traveling to florida acouple years back..

Now,..if the original op was looking to open a discussion on palms, i'll tell ya..there probabally are many out there who have much to say...especially when it comes to their favorites...

As for my own,there are many...but a few i'll share,which should be tried more often here: king palms,Dypsis decipiens,dypsis lutescens,leptocheilos and baronii;Rhopalostylis,and Wodyetia. All of these are outstanding species amongst the "crown shafted" types...

..Among "fan" leaved types: Acoelorraphe,Bismarckia,Brahea,Hyphaene thebaica,a truely branching palm species,all of the Sabal ( Palmetto) species,Schippa concolor, Rhapis (lady palms),and the commonly seen windmill palm are teriffic specimen plants,some of which are quite hardy and should be experimented with in other areas..windmills are one of the hardiest of this group and are already showing up in areas where people would never even think of attempting a palm tree of any sort..

The one species im hoping to attempt once i relocate to florida in several months,Johanesteijsmannia magnifica (don't ask me to pronounce the genus name..)..for a palmnut,this is prehaps the holy grail of palms..rare,expensive,and absolutely fantastic..look this one up...even if you can't try it...

Still,there are hundreds,if not thousands of other species out there some of which might work in
cooler areas...its all about researching them to see which ones you might have a chance at succeeding with..

..An interesting side note for those of us here in the s.f. bay area, theres a grower just south of san jose who is looking to experiment with cuban royals (roystonea regia) here..how neat might that be if
he has success...royals,and canary island date palms lining some of our streets together..how magnificent a vision...

Old 12-12-2008, 08:14 PM

I was at Lowe's today in Pensacola and they had Canary Island Date Palms for $12. I was tempted to buy one but I really don't have anywhere to put it.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:32 AM

46 posts, read 107,003 times
I have two growing here, near my home, in an area with a 52" rainfall that verges on sub-tropical. They are trouble-free and fast growing, the only downside being the large numbers of seed clusters which attract fruit bats who squark and fight all night over the tasty seeds.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:53 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,155,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
Now,..if the original op was looking to open a discussion on palms, i'll tell ya..there probabally are many out there who have much to say...especially when it comes to their favorites...

The one species im hoping to attempt once i relocate to florida in several months,Johanesteijsmannia magnifica (don't ask me to pronounce the genus name..)..for a palmnut,this is prehaps the holy grail of palms..rare,expensive,and absolutely fantastic..look this one up...even if you can't try it...
Ah yes, there are so many cool things on our planet. I did look up that palm you mentioned and it looks like itäd be a really cool palm for large indoor gardening if it does'nt get any bigger than this photo here. http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/images/0/06/Joey_Mag_If.jpg (broken link)

The above photo image is a specimen in Hawaii and below image is of one in Singapore.
http://www2.palmpedia.net/wiki/images/1/1e/Joey_Magnifica-orchSBG.jpg (broken link)

Well , I don't see why the images or photos did'nt come through, just maybe it has to be approved by the moderator because of all the perverts on the net posting garbage, whatever!

Anyway look up the species yourself, they are indeed beautiful.

Main Page - Palmpedia

Old 12-13-2008, 09:52 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,155,202 times
Here's another Kool Palm Garden resource.

"Lundkvist Palm Gardens" - Hawaii

http://www.lundkvistpalmgarden.com really kool website & beautiful photos. Some of the small Red folliage palms would be great accents to mostly Green forest backgrounds.

. . . and you thought this place was in Sweden

Here's a nice page on that site that really illustrates what exactly Palms in the Johnnnesteijsmannia species look like. Most are from Thailand, the Malay pennisula and Borneo.
http://www.lundkvistpalmgarden.com/web/johannesteijsmannia.html (broken link)

Last edited by bluepacific; 12-13-2008 at 10:08 AM..

Old 12-17-2008, 03:59 PM

14,163 posts, read 25,386,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Actually, those palms are Date palms, but not "Canary Island" date palms. Notice the much larger, thicker head on the palm in the fist photo. I heard that the date palms in your Alabama picture are much cheaper because they regularly get "retired" from date farms in California. Apparently they don't produce fruit after a certain age. But they're very attractive palms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden