Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:59 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I thought you might enjoy this thread that I started when I found walnuts here at my new house. Like you, I wanted to use them...

//www.city-data.com/forum/garde...r-walnuts.html

I think they thought I was nuts!
That's the thread I was referring to earlier - everything you ever wanted to know about walnuts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 01:38 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
That's the thread I was referring to earlier - everything you ever wanted to know about walnuts!
I learned that squirrels love them.

And that,... I prefer buying them from the store.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:09 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
We used to lay the gathered walnuts with the green hull still on them and lay them in the driveway (dirt drive). The hulls would eventually be broken off of them after a few weeks of just driving the pickup over them in routine coming and going! Once they dry out, you gather them up and crack them open! We had a really nice "industrial" sized walnut cracker too, btw.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:22 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Put a sign in your yard..."free walnuts"

Old 12-16-2008, 03:27 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Smell them. They smell wonderful.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:06 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Unfortunately, here at our place we have two huge walnut trees that line the lower part of the drive... so what do we do with ours? Run them over with the car tires.

Never seem to ever have the time to get em, so the traffic smashes them.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:15 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,923 times
We crack ours by laying a sheet of newspaper over our laps, placing an old flatiron (the ones that was heated on a stove and used to iron clothes, you can find them at flea markets) with the handle down between our legs, and hitting with a hammer. You don't have to hit all that hard. It does take awhile to get the nut meat picked out.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:14 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
We crack ours by laying a sheet of newspaper over our laps, placing an old flatiron (the ones that was heated on a stove and used to iron clothes, you can find them at flea markets) with the handle down between our legs, and hitting with a hammer. You don't have to hit all that hard. It does take awhile to get the nut meat picked out.
A hammer does seem to be the best "nutcracker"...

I bought an inexpensive nutcracker that did nothing to them.

I'll probably try this again next fall when I have more time!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:46 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Thank you all for the responses!!

We've been here two years and always wondered what kind of tree we had. We actually have two that I know of. I'd forgotten about the one out by the road!

Alrighty, so if the girls misbehave.................. *evil laugh* I thought you were going to say to clobber them with a bag of walnuts BTW. LOL!!!

Ours are on the ground and the husk is all brown and mushy and gross. Guess it's just a matter of us taking off the husk and letting them dry a couple weeks then??

Hey - what happens to them if we don't pick them up?? I've not noticed them laying around in the yard. I can't imagine something with a shell that think would decompose so quickly? Our house was vacant for 15 years before we bought it. I'd think it would be covered with them!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:23 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Wink Nuts to you ;-)

You’ll have to pick them up sooner or later. They can get very messy to deal with. I remember my father many years ago would collect all of them in the yard. Let the green outer husk dry and fall off. After you get to the harder nut, crack it with a hammer and put them into a bucket. Then in the evenings he’d sit and watch tv or listen to the radio and with a small pick remove the fruit. He also used a pair of pliers if needed. After putting all the fruit into a bowl, he’d have about a pound of nuts to eat and put into cookies or brownies. It may or may not be worth all the work, depends on what you’d like to do with your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden