Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 04:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

We have at elast 20 black walnut trees. TO my knowlege no one ever picked them up. THey just disappear. Either something eats them or they just sink into the mud in the spring. Not sure, but they are gone.

I pick up a few to smell them and the kids throw a few into the river, but the majority disappear on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 07:34 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,310,996 times
We would pick them up in 5 gallon buckets and put them in the back of a truck and take it to a local buyer to sell. They taste good in my opinion, you may find a few maggots under the hull after it turns black but the meat inside the nut can still be good.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:59 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Thank you all for the responses!!

We've been here two years and always wondered what kind of tree we had. We actually have two that I know of. I'd forgotten about the one out by the road!

Alrighty, so if the girls misbehave.................. *evil laugh* I thought you were going to say to clobber them with a bag of walnuts BTW. LOL!!!

Ours are on the ground and the husk is all brown and mushy and gross. Guess it's just a matter of us taking off the husk and letting them dry a couple weeks then??

Hey - what happens to them if we don't pick them up?? I've not noticed them laying around in the yard. I can't imagine something with a shell that think would decompose so quickly? Our house was vacant for 15 years before we bought it. I'd think it would be covered with them!
Don't you all have SQUIRRELS? Here in SW MO we have LOTS of black walnut trees. Every year the buyers show up in the fall to purchase what the local people have picked up. They pay by the pound-AFTER the large green husks are removed. Everywhere you go the squirrels are busy eating or stashing them. How they get those things open gives me a new respect for their choppers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden