Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 09:10 PM

858 posts, read 3,043,681 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for any help!!

I found out a few days ago we were getting a big snow storm, I put it off to the last min, to get my snow blower out. Well today I got it out from sitting all summer. “I always run the gas out of the tank before putting away”. Put fresh gas in it gave the primmer a couple pumps and Nothing! Didn’t take me long to figure out I had a problem.

So I pulled the side cover off so I could get a look at the crab. Found the rubber hose coming from the primer was broken. Went to auto zone, got new hose and spark plug. Fixed and put back together. Started right up!! Boy was I happy!! However when I went to turn the choke off.. ”after it warmed up”. Off went the snow blower?? Come to find out it now well only run with the choke on?? “and not very well after it gets hot”! So I took the crab apart looked good inside not that dirty. Got some crab cleaner and went over everything I could see. Put back together and still the same problem.

BTW. It’s a 2 stage snow blower. 6 horses Brigg’s & Stratton motor. Theirs no way this thing is going to handle 5 to 10 of snow tomorrow the way its running.. And I don’t have time to take it some where for someone to look at it. Anyone know as to why it will only run with the choke on??? I have no problem spending half the morning fixing it if I know what to fix or what I over looked??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 10:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Sounds to me like the carb needles need to be taken out ;the seats cleaned and put back to original setting and then retuned. Its not getting enough fuel from the descrtiption you give as running good with the choke on.Also make sure they butterfly is working right.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:00 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Years ago when I had the need, ~ I always changed the spark plug every season for the snow blower or the lawn mower. It just wasn’t worth the effort to try and start them without doing that first ~ and it’s not that costly.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:27 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Likely bits from the decaying hose got into the carb. Like the others said, get the gasket kit or some gasket material, find a clean spot and take it apart and clean out the whole thing. If you want to take a longshot, just remove the carb bowl, unscrew the jet all the way to remove it, spray cleaner up there and wipe out the crud in the bowl. Replace and cross fingers. Might be an idea to replace the fuel filter and air cleaner filter. If you don't have a fuel filter, you need one.

BTW, where can I get some of that crab cleaner?

Old 12-21-2008, 08:32 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
BTW, where can I get some of that crab cleaner?
BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA! That sounds like a personal problem that needs to be addressed! Thanks for the laugh this morning. I needed it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden