Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:59 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,610 times

Advertisements

My best memory was of my Yellow Crown Peony putting out 6 blossoms this past late spring. It was a Mother's day gift given to me about 5yrs. ago. It bloomed the second year I had it but only a couple of blooms and they were small. Then I transplanted it and it took another two years for it to bloom again and again it only put on a couple of smaller blooms. This year though it did better. The smell of the blossoms were heavenly and the blossom color was so vibrant and they were close to normal size. I can't wait to see what it does again this spring. I love my peonies and I hope to one day have just about every color and blossom style out there. Right now I have quite a few different pinks and a couple of single white ones. The only sad part is they only bloom once and then they are done for the rest of the season. But the bush still looks nice anyways.

I enlarged a couple of flower beds this spring and I planted several new plants like miniture lupines, miniture delphiniums,(I live on a windy hill and the taller ones would be blown over in no time flat) burgundy galardia, verbena, a few more roses, dianthis, mums, painted daisies and a few others I can't think of right now. I also bought another Yellow Crown Peony to put up by my other one as well as a Burgundy colored one called Buckeyed Bell. I may have to wait another year or two before the new peonies bloom but all of the other new plants should hopefully bloom and be larger this coming spring/summer/early fall.

I also started to dig up my Iris bed and get them seperated. But I wasn't able to complete the task as it got so hot so fast this past summer and then it got cold to soon this past fall. I probably only got about a 1/4 of it done. Man can those things multiply. I had so many extras in just the small area I did get dug up that I donated a bunch to my church to sell at a fundraising yard sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 04:33 AM

47 posts, read 78,074 times
Smile Wonderful!

[quote=normie;6746812]Planting 1300 daffodil bulbs. Yes, that's right, 1300. I got a little carried away this year....

I wish if I could come and see the daffodils .....................You are really lucky to have that experience in life.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:26 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
[quote=anushapathiranasilva;6843943]
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Planting 1300 daffodil bulbs. Yes, that's right, 1300. I got a little carried away this year....

I wish if I could come and see the daffodils .....................You are really lucky to have that experience in life.
Yes, I love my daffodils. When I see them I know spring is really, really , really here. Oh, if only they lasted a little longer. I've stretched it out as far as I could, but still my daffs are only around for 5 weeks at the most.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:24 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,890 times
My daffs are peeking up now. I can't wait as I planted about 75 of em in the fall as well as other numerous bulbs and plantings.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,606 times
Normie, what a neat experience..daffodils are always a welcome spring treat no matter what part of the country you live..

Even here in Ca. you know spring is right at the door when the daffs start flowering,along with the Acacias..

Whats interesting is there are so many different varieties in many sizes..

According to the American Daffodil society,the total season for them can range anywhere from 5-6 weeks,to 6 months,depending on variety..there are even one or two species types which flower in autumn,though the flowers on both species are fairly small..good luck and post some pictures when yours start flowering..

Old 01-11-2009, 01:13 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,660 times
Here in Ohio we dealt with crazy weather this past summer/early fall. Hot & dry then the wind storm from Ike that not many outside of Cincinnati knew about which hit us pretty hard. I enjoyed my garden this year because it didnt fail me. I was sick all spring and most of the summer so I was not able to get out there everyday like I enjoy but the garden did its thing anyway and gave me quite a show. Cant wait to get back out there this year! I tried to add a pic by only know how to do that on my profile page and cant figure out how to do it on a thread.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:18 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,114 times
not a great year for tomatoes Last year we canned about 70 Qts of them and this year barely 30... but bumper crop of garlic again ....

Old 01-11-2009, 01:25 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
I've just moved and left my beautiful garden behind. Where I moved to, I'm having to start from scratch. There wasn't even one foundation plant here and there were all kinds of other issues that I had to deal with before I could even think about planting anything.

Last summer, I built an 80 foot retaining wall to on one side of my house so that this year I can start planting... The difference that wall makes in my property is amazing but it was a back breaking job.

The day I completed that wall is my favorite memory for 2008!

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-11-2009 at 01:39 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 08:50 PM

13 posts, read 41,342 times
I have planted the same 15 x 25 garden plot for years. I get awesome tomatoes and peppers and beans. Every year I plant some type of melon hoping for that whopper of a melon. Every year I get a big mass of vines - but no melons, or they all rot before developing.

Well 2008 was my first year to harvest! I got 12 little cantalopes - and they were good and sweet.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 AM

767 posts, read 1,848,089 times
Probably my weeping cherry trees in bloom...gave me that spring feeling. Otherwise, it was a tough yard year....I spent hours planting beds in my backyard...only to have them eaten to nubs a month later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden