Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 11:45 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,414,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I've always considered chicken manure the best. Horse manure is too weedy because they can't break down the seeds. All manure should be aged so that the bad bacterias can die.

I just found this website that compares different manures. Manure Matters: How Manures Measure Up
My grandfather and mom always said chicken was the best, but it's 'hot', so you have to let it age a bit so what you're feeding it to doesn't die. Do you find that as well? I can't have chickens where I live. It's not zoned for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 07:57 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,726,241 times
Rabbit manure... carolina farmer pal swears its the only green manure you can use that will not burn the stalks of plants.

Wonderful links in this thread. I hope this adds to the pile... Compost tea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A series out of boston--http://www.gardengirltv.com/ 3 minute clips can't be in depth but you can see how things work together dimensionally. She does raised beds and combines it with vertical gardening.

Alternative ideas for unique spaces or smaller plants, google Pyramid Urban Garden Raised Bed. It's an ad but anyone with basic skills could build this themselves. My point is if you don't have a box shaped property, why not think outside the box? I encountered another site that used raw cedar logs from their property, treated it with linseed oil on inside exposure (safe for food grade vegetation). Elsewhere cinder block designs were made to look less industrial topped with built in pool edger resembling an inviting place to sit. The moss idea sounds like it would have been the finishing touch and you'd never be able to tell it was cinderblock.

I didn't do a raised bed this year but once I've worked out the details of positioning it makes more sense for me to go that route on my sloped clay city lot. It's only a matter of using a level and terracing (which is pretty much what I've already done in my garden this year).

I originally had cold frames in mind for another section of yard that's only sunny when deciduous leaves drop... I'm rethinking them as raised bed for all season changes. Garden girl had livestock cages cleverly sized to place over her raised beds and it's occurred to me cold frames can just evolve with the weather more. I thought it had to be strictly cold crops, discrete season coverage, or seedling starters.

I'm wondering what became of NC's yellow plants- perhaps the late may frost we had here in WV happened to his area too? Pole beans are 3ft now with a plan to cover a chain link fence, but maybe I should just stake them same as tomatoes and watermelon before vines get too complicated to move?

Old 06-22-2009, 05:39 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,190,667 times
Here is my square foot garden update. I had some issues getting things started early on as I think my cheap compost from Loews did not have enough nutrients to support vigorous plant growth. I added some organic Espoma Garden Tone fertilizer and things seem to be going much better now. My onions did not make it so they have been pulled from the garden. The lettuce has already been harvested due to the heat. Right now I have Roma tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, squash, basil, and bush beans. I've been able to harvest quite a bit of basil and today I got my first harvest of green beans. Sadly I am having trouble with guests (deer) eating my plants, so I need to find a way to keep them out. Here are a few pictures of my garden from today.

The Garden

Hoof prints from Deer

The deer decided to relieve my bean plants the burden of having leaves!

My little green bean harvest from today!

Old 06-23-2009, 04:39 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,490,461 times
Great NRG. Seeing your own food come from the land must be so satisfying.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:35 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,643,734 times
Great looking plants NRG excepting the leftovers from the deer. sigh.

I wish I could take pic's just have not been able to get my son to help me..

I have been watching a tomato, it is turning red and hopefully it will be ripe today....Oh I hope it will.

I lost lettuce due to the heat, my onions didn't do well at all..hmm don't know about them.

I have several pepper plants, four tomato plants, okra and squash that are amazing...and I threw in some seeds from a canteloupe I had a while back so now i also have cantelopue growing.. One of my tomato plants is a cherry tomato which I have never grown...can't wait, it has one tiny one on it.

The largest tomato plant, a Better Boy is loaded with 15 tomatoes on it...dh and I keep adding stakes to it as it is trying to break....the other two are growing nicely and have about three to four on each..

Old 06-23-2009, 06:46 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
NRG your garden is looking good even with the deer visiting that is just part of the program isn't it?

YLisa will be back online soon her computer screen died so as soon as she replaces it I am sure she will give you a shout out too.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:31 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,602,875 times
It's too late for me to try the SFG this year, but I think I will give it a try next year. As far as manure goes, I prefer cow first. I go get green pucks, then smush them up on the drive way to dry and cure quicker, then store them in buckets to use as needed. (mix a few scoops with a couple tbs of epsom salts in water) then use every couple of days as needed.

Since I have always done a "traditional row type" garden, when the last plants are done, before the first freeze, I till the garden VERY well; dig out the dirt to the till line (where the dirt becomes hard again from not being touched), cover the bottom with manure, fill back in with the dirt. Wait a few weeks, then till it all together, then cover with straw for winter.

About a month or so before I am ready to plant (in spring), I till in the straw, and add more manure and water the crap outta it.

Do a super fine till the day I am ready to plant, and the garden is more than ready to take care of all those veggies! My last garden, I had turnips and maters the size of small melons by doing this.

Mind you, I DO NOT do any chemicals for ANY reason. I try and be as natural as possible in my garden, by using natural ingredients for fertilizer, and pest control by picking off bugs by hand.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:57 AM

68 posts, read 372,513 times
about growing tomatoes .........

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Ha, ha CM you made my morning. How lovely and I haven't even had my coffee yet, lol. .
Something to read with your morning coffee about true heirloom 'maters .

Newbies Growing Oldies

Written by my friend 'shoe' one of the most beloved peeps and longest membership on Dave's Garden , generous to a fault.
and smart a a whip about down to earth growing of foods. ...........

BTW, "shoe' NEVER wears shoes ................

Enjoy,
~S & the 9 raw prey model fed GSD Kitchen Wolves

Old 07-05-2009, 08:23 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,275,117 times
Default Update On My SFG

Hi all. I just thought I would write in and give you an update on my SFG. So far I am pleased. I planted my first 4x4 SFG 7 weeks ago and I have cucumbers and peppers. Beans are growing and there are small green tomatoes on the stems. So far I haven't had any weeds and no animals. I seem to just have nibbling on some of the leaves but that has stopped so far, lol.

I will change a few things for next year. First the SFG book says to plant 9 pole beans in one square. I think they are overcrowded and some of them seem too small. Next year I won't plant so many in one box. I also bought patio cucumbers and I had no idea what they were. I didn't realize they would sprawl so much. Anyway I planted 2 of those between some green beans and some tomatoes. They are buried in there. I have to peek underneath just to see the cucumbers, lol. Next year I will plant them in front because so far they are producing which is good.

Here is the first SFG I planted 7 weeks ago. This one has pole beans, bush beans, lots of tomatoes, cucumbers, and assorted peppers.

My second SFG I planted 4 weeks ago and it has 1 zucchini plant, 2 yellow squash, tomatoes and peppers.

Here I am picking my very first squash.

Hopefully within the next 2 weeks I will have a lot more good news.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:09 AM

532 posts, read 2,838,046 times
Younglisa7, your SFG looks fantastic! I like your "Helper" behind you in the photo. Mine has begun stealing from me.

I don't have a space for a SFG in my yard. My house sits back on my pie-shaped property. Back yard is woodlot, side yards too shady and the HOA puts the kabosh on anything in the front yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden