Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,556,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Square Foot Gardening Anyone?

Of course, mine is about 6000 ft square, rows about 100 ft long and the garden is about 20 yards front to back.
I think (and hope) you meant 6000 square feet (100' x 60').

6000 ft square (6000' x 6000') would be 36,000,000 square feet, or quite a bit over one square mile!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 07:12 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,618,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I think (and hope) you meant 6000 square feet (100' x 60').

6000 ft square (6000' x 6000') would be 36,000,000 square feet, or quite a bit over one square mile!
Yeah, something like that. It took my breath away to ponder the size of that garden, and the size of the gardening crew to maintain it! LOL

Old 03-01-2011, 08:52 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,769,932 times
well after alot of reading weve decided to go with 3 4x8 beds this year to "get started. should feed 5 adults plus the hens lol.
planning on growing:
roma, cherry, brandwine and beefsteak tomatoes
jalapeno, sweet green and a sweet kalidescope mix peppers
bunching and sweet yellow onions
cabbage
2 different types of cauliflower
2 different types of broccoli
beats
2 different types of spinach
iceburg and a large leaf lettuce
muscelin mix
cucumbers
2 types of peas,
2 types of beans
chives
garlic
a veriety of herbs
butternut squash
sugar baby watermelon

im also planning a couple of 4 x 4 stacked strawberry planters that may also double as watermelon beds, lol, were addicted to watermelon :P

now i just have to figure out the planting mix, i knwo theres the mix typically used but we have a ton of good composted chicken manure/shaving mix that were hopign to incorporate too...

Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,379,591 times
Last year I had issues with the tomatoes, they took over the whole square - especially the cherry ones. Going to give them their own SFG, thinking a 2X6 or 2X8.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM

168 posts, read 306,625 times
im never putting tomatoes in my sfg again! they will go into a seperate container to avoid the hostile takeover that ensues around august.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 AM

LOL @ ccornewell! That's a great way to describe it 'hostile takeover'. Yup, that's pretty much what happened to mine, though I think mine started their takeover in July. They produced like gangbusters though, but at some point I couldn't even give them away. Was thinking of stalking parking lots and putting baskets of tomatoes in any cars with open windows or convertibles with the top down!

So this year, they will get their own, dedicated SFG - the ones I had in pots or in other places in the garden did not do nearly as well. So they like the SFG home, but don't play nice with the neighbors!

Old 03-15-2011, 06:32 AM

433 posts, read 1,138,730 times
My 3 year old grand daughter and I were out looking at the beds yesterday and I discovered that I had a couple of ripe strawberries. She sure enjoyed them. The radishes, mesclun, and napa are looking pretty good. Today I will be planting the arugula and romaine that DH bought for me. I think the tomato is ready to go in the ground too. I hope we don't get a freeze as the peach is in full bloom.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 AM

I'm so jealous Phawk! I'll only be putting peas and starting tomato seeds this weekend. According to my weather friends and the farmer's almanac, we're due for one more snowstorm before this winter gives up and goes away. I'll put the peas in and cover them with plastic soda bottles should we get snow.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,345,510 times
I'm hoping that this is the year that I finally get serious about gardening here. Last year I got as far as learning about SF gardening and got three frames built by late August. I need to get weed cloth attached. I have the supplies for a good mixture to fill them.

So many times when I lived in CA on a tiny city lot I wished for enough room in a sunny location to be able to grow veggies, not just a pretty flower bed or two.

They say: Be careful what you wish for. Now I have 28 acres, mostly it's open pasture land but the area around the house is probably close to two acres and even subtracting the space that the house, garage, equipment shed and the 40 x 90 fenced off dog run area take up there's still lots of space to grow whatever I can manage.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:25 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,618,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I'm hoping that this is the year that I finally get serious about gardening here. Last year I got as far as learning about SF gardening and got three frames built by late August. I need to get weed cloth attached. I have the supplies for a good mixture to fill them.

So many times when I lived in CA on a tiny city lot I wished for enough room in a sunny location to be able to grow veggies, not just a pretty flower bed or two.

They say: Be careful what you wish for. Now I have 28 acres, mostly it's open pasture land but the area around the house is probably close to two acres and even subtracting the space that the house, garage, equipment shed and the 40 x 90 fenced off dog run area take up there's still lots of space to grow whatever I can manage.
Lucky you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden