Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 06:46 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,116,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Hi CD gardeners...I've read about thirty pages between this thread and the other sticky one. I'm new at gardening (and a bit "gun shy" because my father and his mother could grow ANYTHING). I was able to sprout some seeds last year but nothing grew when we put the in starter containers (I bought these Starter Kits).

I have a serious knee injury and my yard is not level. I have about 9-10 down the deck and I'm afraid I won't be able to do that on a regular basis. This may be the silliest question ever posted so please don't laugh. Is it possible for me to do square foot gardening and container gardening on my deck? I'm wondering if I could just build the grids in each corner of my deck and tend to them that way. I am in the Raleigh area of NC and have been here about four years, but this is only our second year in trying to grow vegetables in containers.

My kids are still in elementary school and are excited to try again. We have corn, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and cilantro sprouting on top of the fridge now. They all look healthy and strong at the moment so I want to get this right this time.

Any helpful advice is welcome.
No question is silly glad you found these threads yes you can garden from your deck. Here are a couple of links to some elevated beds you can use as a guide to build yours.

Elevated Garden Beds | Raised Garden Beds | Gardener's Supply

How to build a simple elevated garden bed with Louis Damm - YouTube

I don't have tools or building skills so I ordered the one in the 2nd video to do square foot gardening for the first time this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 07:10 PM

49,990 posts, read 63,301,795 times
Of course you can, as long as you have enough light. Use the SFG formula for soil and water regularly. I have a 6x6' SFG and have just finished planting it. A small family can get plenty of crops from only one or two of any plants. after the first year, you will be able to judge what does best and can adjust accordingly.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:16 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,852,082 times
Thank you both for responding. That looks really simple that I may even be able to manage it. I plan to go to the hardware store tomorrow and figure things out. Thanks again!

Old 04-05-2014, 09:32 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,116,551 times
You're welcome although I've gardened all my life this will be the first year for patio raised bed gardening. Glad we could help.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:51 PM

We'll figure it out together this year. ;-)

Old 04-05-2014, 11:57 PM

16 posts, read 18,397 times
I got the supplies to make a raised sfg garden bed today. I am excited to construct it. It will be 2ft by 5ft. Just doing a basic box frame style to try it out. Wood is 2x6. So not tall at all. I'll be dreaming dreams about it tonight. Lol!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:01 AM

I have another question. My kiddies watched the video with me and they asked why is it raised off the ground. I am assuming it's for some reason other than asethetics, but I'm not sure.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:15 AM

I found these online today at my local hardware store. I think they would be perfect for me since they are on casters. I already have a bunch of individual pots from last year so I think between those and two of these I'll have enough for our sprouts.

Resin Raised beds

The kids and I so excited. We are going to get started after lunch!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:23 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,278,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indysheart View Post
I got the supplies to make a raised sfg garden bed today. I am excited to construct it. It will be 2ft by 5ft. Just doing a basic box frame style to try it out. Wood is 2x6. So not tall at all. I'll be dreaming dreams about it tonight. Lol!
Have fun. I love my sfg

Quote:
I have another question. My kiddies watched the video with me and they asked why is it raised off the ground. I am assuming it's for some reason other than asethetics, but I'm not sure.
The raised beds "off" the ground are made for people who have trouble bending or leaning down to the ground for gardening.

Quote:
I found these online today at my local hardware store. I think they would be perfect for me since they are on casters. I already have a bunch of individual pots from last year so I think between those and two of these I'll have enough for our sprouts.

Resin Raised beds

The kids and I so excited. We are going to get started after lunch!
That looks great. Have fun. What do your kids want to grow?

Old 04-06-2014, 12:24 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,278,287 times
I got my sfg ready for the year and the grids are in place. So far I have planted peas, lettuce, spinach and onions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden