Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:25 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times

Advertisements

I am starting my first garden this year and I want it to be semi easy. I read "Square Foot Gardening" and it looks very interesting. Does anyone else do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 08:53 AM

899 posts, read 2,941,350 times
Hi
Did you get the book on square foot gardening, its a handy book to have..i personally don't have the room for square ft beds but I work in them at a public demo garden where I volunteer at..Its amazing the amount of veggies we get from ours..we have char, radishes , carrotts, lettuces , tomato , cabbage and even some herbs planted in them...Its definitely a neat way to go in a small space and the volume that is harvested from our 6 beds is good too..
Try them I think you''ll be pleased.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:52 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
We have a good size garden, but because we live in a short growing climate, we decided to try to maximize our yeilds. We do square foot gardening on a larger scale and it's incredible the amout of produce we get. We aren't using raised beds as instructed in the book. We have just mounded up the beds. Make sure that you add compost to your beds every year.
It's very easy and you will also have to weed less often. A real bonus.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:48 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Thank you. I can't wait to get started. I drew up plans yesterday. I'm sure I will have many changes, lol.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,376,211 times
We do the square foot gardening in a few beds. It does well and we have had some success. But we grow large amounts of food and long rows with a little ditch in between rows for watering and it does very well.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:24 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,369,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I am starting my first garden this year and I want it to be semi easy. I read "Square Foot Gardening" and it looks very interesting. Does anyone else do this?

I have done it. It works...really well. Using natural bug deterrents like planting chives around your tomatoes is the slickest thing you'll ever see. Many of the ideas in the book carry over to other types of garden.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:37 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thank you. I can't wait to get started. I drew up plans yesterday. I'm sure I will have many changes, lol.
I tried it last year and I think it will work out great. My problem is I am having trouble adapting to the climate here in Tx. In Ohio I could plunk seeds in the ground and they would just grow. Down here I am combating heat, humidity and humongous bugs, armadillos and tomato snatching birds. ARGH. Oh well, will try again this year.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Can I just use regular potting soil, or soil mixed with compost for this method?

Hubby is building me a 2 x 4 box and I asked him to build me another one the same size. I was reading up on the square foot gardening and don't like the sound of running all over town to find this verimculite that is apparently really hard to get.

I just want to keep this simple. Is the weird soil mixture the whole thing that makes raised beds a good method?

Old 02-02-2009, 09:56 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,682 times
Debsi, I just got regular old dirt and we mixed it with miracle grow dirt and compost. The plants I did grow were huge. I had pepper plants that were as tall as I am.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:01 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Debsi, I just got regular old dirt and we mixed it with miracle grow dirt and compost. The plants I did grow were huge. I had pepper plants that were as tall as I am.
Wow! Did you mostly start from seeds or transplants, mth?

That sounds great. Can I pick up a bag of compost at Home Depot next to the potting soil or do I have to go to a specialty store for that too? I know I could do my own.. but maybe next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden