Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:09 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,682 times

Advertisements

I am growing Darjeeling Banana and Spanish Bayonet from seed for this coming season, does anyone have any knowledge of these plants? I do not really know a lot about them, but they are both supposed to be hardy here in kentucky (zone 7 ). If anyone has any info or experience with how to grow these, let me know, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 06:55 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
I am growing Darjeeling Banana and Spanish Bayonet from seed for this coming season, does anyone have any knowledge of these plants? I do not really know a lot about them, but they are both supposed to be hardy here in kentucky (zone 7 ). If anyone has any info or experience with how to grow these, let me know, thanks.
They should both do well in your zone!!

The Spanish bayonet is in the yucca family & needs full sun & does not like "wet feet". Not the fastest grower on the planet either!! It's a pretty care-free plant after establishing.

The banana needs full sun & moist, rich soil so you may want to amend the area you place it in with good organic matter (bananas are heavy feeders). If it's like the basjoo banana, it will probably die back every winter & it would be a good idea to mulch over the top of the corm with leaves (hay may contain weed seeds) after the stalks start to decline.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
I have two Spanish Bayonettes growing in my backyard here in Maryland. As Jungle George says, they do just fine. Even with all the freezing temps and ice as of late, they have not wilted at all.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:21 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I have Spanish Bayonet too, and it's a pretty indestructible plant. Be warned though, what starts as a small clump will quickly multiply and get huge. If you accidentally get too close with the mower it hurts like hell too.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:26 PM

how fast does the spanish bayonet grow?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Not fast at all....

FPS-614/FP614: Yucca aloifolia Spanish Bayonet

Old 02-03-2009, 04:36 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Well, I planted a little piece about 5 years ago and now it's a clump about 6 feet, both around and tall. It bloomed for the first time last year. I'm in zone 8 so it may be faster here.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well, I planted a little piece about 5 years ago and now it's a clump about 6 feet, both around and tall. It bloomed for the first time last year. I'm in zone 8 so it may be faster here.
Growth rate of an individual plant of the same species can hinge on many factors including zone. A Spanish bayonet in Florida will grow more than one in Kentucky due to a longer "growth season" for example. If the growth rate was "moderate" or "fast", a plant could achieve the size you're saying in 1 year as opposed to 5 years.

Now the growth rate of bananas is a different story....

Old 02-05-2009, 05:43 PM

well im starting both the bananas and the bayonets inside right now and hope to move them outdoors by late march/early april, that is if they germinate by them. hopefully this will give them a jump start to the growing season.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
well im starting both the bananas and the bayonets inside right now and hope to move them outdoors by late march/early april, that is if they germinate by them. hopefully this will give them a jump start to the growing season.
Since they're so young, the Mar/Apr thing may be a bit too early depending on your temps then...they are both tender so soon after germinating.

I would make sure the temps are at least in the 50's/60's (for lows) relatively consistantly before planting. If you can keep 'em in pots, then you can bring them into shelter if you get a freak cold snap or move them outside if temps are mild. They both will be more cold-tolerant after they're established in their planted positions for a full growing season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden