Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:53 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,584,332 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever plant the4se? I've seen them as apple trees with four varieties of apple, pear trees with 3-4 varieties of pear and citrus tress. Usually they are dwarf trees which is a real turn off. But just the same, has anyone tried planting these trees with excellent results? fair results? Would never do it again?

I appreciate all input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:18 PM

11,036 posts, read 17,422,899 times
I had a friend who tried the apple trees. Bought 2 of them. He is one of these who can grow just about anything anywhere. He said the best part of the tree was using it for firewood when he cut it down. Biggest "fruit" he ever got was about the size of a small lemon and I can't say on here what he said it tasted like.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:11 AM

I suspected something like that. Thank you.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:29 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,040,618 times
Alice
One of the teachers at the school I volunteer has a "fruit cocktail tree".

She really likes it I think the lemon "branch" is in bloom right now.

It would be fun to try one of these, I would have to go with the potted variety though because I have so may citrus in the landscape now and I have to keep reminding myself "have to leave grass for the dogs"

Old 02-14-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I suspected something like that. Thank you.
No charge! lol

Old 02-14-2009, 11:11 AM

45,029 posts, read 60,050,709 times
I have two, a 5 type apple and a 3 type cherry. The apple has been in about 13 or so years and has been a disappointment. In fact it is slowing dying. The cherry has been in about 6 years and has gotten better each year. The apple came from Gurney's, the cherry was gotten by my wife from QVC.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The apple came from Gurney's...
Was this the only fruit tree you bought from Gurney's? I was considering buying several fruiting trees from them for this coming spring. I'd hate to be wasting my money.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Was this the only fruit tree you bought from Gurney's? I was considering buying several fruiting trees from them for this coming spring. I'd hate to be wasting my money.
I also got a semi-dwarf Jonathon from Gurney's before the 5 in 1. It has been good although I didn't site it properly. I'm lazy so I don't spray the apples and they get blemishes. My biggest problem is, and I'd never seen this before, that squirrels take the apples when they start to ripen. I also have a Bing cherry from Gurney's that really produces. It has gotten so big that I can't net it and I lose an awful lot to birds. Also got another cherry from Gurney's that I can't remember the name of that never did well and died after a couple seasons.

My biggest problem has been new neighbors moving in, the town had been mostly a summer place, and cutting down the fruit trees in their yards. The lack of pollinators has impacted the apple production. That and development of former woodlots and old farms.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 02-15-2009 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 02-15-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I also got a semi-dwarf Jonathon from Gurney's before the 5 in 1. It has been good although I didn't site it properly. I'm lazy so I don't spray the apples and they get blemishes. My biggest problem is, and I'd never seen this before, that squirrels take the apples when they start to ripen. I also have a Bing cherry from Gurney's that really produces. It has gotten so big that I can't net it and I lose an awful lot to birds. Also got another cherry from Gurney's that I can't remember the name of that never did well and died after a couple seasons.

My biggest problem has been new neighbors moving in, the town had been mostly a summer place, and cutting down the fruit trees in their yards. The lack of pollinators has impacted the apple production. That and development of former woodlots and old farms.
North Beach, several years ago we had some friends have a magnolia tree that wouldn't bloom. Someone had told them to "beat" the tree, with something like broom handles, wood bats, nothing hard like steel or anything. Said it shocks the tree into pollination. They did this late in the afternoon (didn't want people driving by and seeing them beating on their tree! lol). Next spring it bloomed like crazy! They told my mother, who had an article in the local paper. What she didn't know was the Associated Press picks up stories like that. they started getting letters from all over the country. Many people said they had done the same thing with fruit trees with the same luck! Never can tell!
As far as ordering from Guerney's, I worked with a man who wouldn't order from anywhere else!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:45 AM

An old timer told me once about slapping a tree into flowering/pollinating (funny thing is that now I'm the old timer). I've never tried it. My trees flower ok, just lack a nearby cross-pollinator. We've also been hit here with the honey bee plague, although I saw a lot more last summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden