Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:03 PM

202 posts, read 821,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
What is an easy way to get started on planting some flowers(it can be any kind as long as it looks nice). I have a narrow strip in front of my house that is just filled with mulch right now. I want to plant some small to medium size flowers to beautify that area. How do i get started? What type of soil do i need? Do i need seeds? How does this all work? Thank you.
I'm in Texas too, south of FW, and it's been drought conditions. If you want to conserve water you might go with drought resistant plants. Read the little tags or the back of the seed packets for water requirements. It will also tell you if the plant likes full sun, partial shade etc.
You first stated you wanted flowers, then went to roses. Roses are bushes and can get quite large. Maybe you can look for dwarf varieties if you like roses. If you want early color go with pansies. They're real easy, cold hardy and will usually reseed. I'm also planting alyssum and lobelia. Rudbekia and echinacea are winners too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:08 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
How can you tell if you have that kind of egg carton? Are you just talking about the cardboard kind versus the new-fangled styrofoam kind?
Yeah, that's the kind I was talking about. Hard to find them any more! With the cardboard kind you can leave the plant in it and it will turn to compost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden