Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:34 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times

Advertisements

So far so good.

I went down to the wetlands area today and see where they planted the two seedlings I donated to them. They are not down in the water, but on the upper edge of one of the swamps, but the water is about 15 inches from the trees now. I dont think they are watering it regularly, as the soil looked a little dry around the seedlings, so I may go up there and water them tomorrow or Monday evening. Its about a 16 mile drive for me, so its not convenient to go daily... Its supposed to rain on Wednesday, but think htey may need water before then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 11:35 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,036,028 times
Tennessee,

How funny,..i was just going to check in to ask how your seedlings were doing..lol

Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
Tennessee,

How funny,..i was just going to check in to ask how your seedlings were doing..lol

lol... that is funny. Thanks for asking. Well, we went up there today, me, my mother, her god-daughter, and her fiance. They walked around, while me and my mom tended to the trees. It was funny because I had my mom take the large empty McDonalds cup and dip it in the pond it was next too and water it. We had to go to the other side of the road and down a bank to get to the other tree. I bet people there in the park thought we had lost our minds. lol.

I am a little disgusted though because clearly the trees have not been watered and I clearly told the person over the park that I donated them to that they need to be watered at least every other day until established. One of the trees already had browning needles on the bottom. I dont know, but I think it will perish.

I at least hope the other one makes it. We are forecasted to get good soaking rains over the next two days, I hope it helps them to pull through.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:20 PM

Well, we have had some soaking, soaking rains over the past 2 days and more tomorrow, so I think they are getting well watered now.

Here is mine - one I am concerned with. As mentioned one seems to be in a very heavy clay... so heavy that the water dont want to soak in. It is though, because I checked with a moisture meter and its wet from all of the rains.

Does this photo look like cause for concern? I know this is a water loving pine, but I dont want to drown it.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:37 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Are they showing any candles (new growth) yet?

I wouldn't say Slash pine is a water loving tree, the ones around here never get watered and they survive just as well as the other pines. They like moist soil, but they won't grow in soil that is constantly water logged like Bald Cypress will.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:02 PM

Some are and some arent. I think the one in the standing water is. I have one that I thought was in the best soil on the property, but it seems to be dying... the lower needles are browning.

Some good news... my Sand Pine that I thought was dying (alot of brown needles) has alot of new growth (or "candles" like you said). I never thought about it before, but they do look like little candles dont they?

All of my other pines (Loblolly and Pond) pines have alot of new growth already as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Are they showing any candles (new growth) yet?

I wouldn't say Slash pine is a water loving tree, the ones around here never get watered and they survive just as well as the other pines. They like moist soil, but they won't grow in soil that is constantly water logged like Bald Cypress will.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Ah, I am crushed. One of my Slash pine seedings met its fate today with a weed eater! The guy that cuts grandpas lawn (next door) decided he would go out grandpas driveway that runs along side of ours with some trees/grass in the middle. Despite me having a stake wrapped with yellow tape and yellow tape all around it, he still managed to chop it off about 4 inches off of the ground. This was one of my best growing ones too! What was worse, he barely cut the weeds around it, but he chopped my tree! I was crushed and ANGRY when I got out the car. When coming home from work, I saw the weeds had been trimmed, but I slammed the brakes when I got to where my tree WAS at and when I got out and seen it, I about blew a fuse and got back in the car and literally peeled out in the driveway. It was not pretty when I got inside. I went down and told my grandfather that his "gardener" cut down one of my pine tree seedlings that I had cared for and nourished for what, three months?

Well, I ended up digging up the one in the above photo, which appears that it was not happy where it was, as the new growth was turning brown. I think the soil there was too heavy. I hope it was not too late for that one and it will survive... as for the cut tree, I am sure its a goner. I had one cut like that before by mistake (by ANOTHER gardener) and it never recovered.

I dont know why I get like this, but my trees are my babies.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:31 PM

..that will be three months salary taken away from the gardener, immediately, please Ain't it funny that those guys always destroy things they should know not to touch..yet leave weeds everywhere, or leave things which they should be pruning left un-pruned and in disarray..gotta love em'

Old 07-06-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
..that will be three months salary taken away from the gardener, immediately, please Ain't it funny that those guys always destroy things they should know not to touch..yet leave weeds everywhere, or leave things which they should be pruning left un-pruned and in disarray..gotta love em'
Yeah, I was so mad at first, I didnt even notice the uncut weeds around it, but when I went down there to stew some more, I noticed the weeds and it got my angry again. I mean, like does he not know what a pine tree looks like and with a big 4 ft stake right by it, with yellow caution tape wrapped all around it!

I had planned on weeding around that entire area myself, in order to keep this from happening, but the weedeater has been broken, or so I thought.

I guess had that not been one of the nicest growing ones I had, it would have been as bad and it was in a location I wanted one the most too. Maybe I will get lucky and it will grow a new shoot, but I doubt it.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:53 PM

Doesn't matter of course whether or not this seedling was one of the better ones or not..I think some yard guys assume that when you put up a barrier around something you've invested it..that they can just go ahead and ignore it..i mean there might be some tiny weed hanging out around that plant..they just have to whack..instead of getting down on hand and knee and using the tools god gave them..

As for your next course of action, completely remove any weeds from around the seedling..make the spot around it completely bare any other plants surrounding it will compete for nutrients it will need if it is to sprout new growth..then give it something like B1 or a root stimulator.. While at it's size, doing this is still a gamble, it might help it recover..oh, and put an upside down tomato cage over it..anchored into the ground..just in case the gardener returns to try and finish off the whack job.. im about ready to set up a camera to see if ours is poisoning some of my plants..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden