Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 11:23 AM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
on my garden, my poor garden, we had a horrible storm last night and all my plants are smashed to the ground even the tomatoes. I think they will come back and thank God it only lasted about 15 minutes, but we were without electricity for about 12 hours.

Nita
Hope your garden rebounds and your tomatoes come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 11:29 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I ate my first zucchini, and I see a couple of smaller ones. Tomatoes and peppers/eggplant are still small. My pole beans have flowers. The Kohlrabi still don't have any bumps on them...I think I may need to throw some compost on the veggies.

The spinach has gone to seed. I wonder if I can still eat it?

Old 06-15-2011, 04:13 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
For those who seem to know a whole lot more than I will ever know about gardening....

There are big bright yellow and black striped caterpillars (rather pretty, actually) attacking the dill. They are about 1" - 1.5" long. They can denude an entire plant overnight.

What are they? Does anybody know?

Old 06-15-2011, 04:24 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
For those who seem to know a whole lot more than I will ever know about gardening....

There are big bright yellow and black striped caterpillars (rather pretty, actually) attacking the dill. They are about 1" - 1.5" long. They can denude an entire plant overnight.

Sorry, I just learned about the tomato horn worm last year and it doesn't look like that.

Check this site and see if any look familiar.
ACES Publications : IDENTIFYING CATERPILLARS IN FIELD, FORAGE, AND HORTICULTURE CROPS : ANR-1121

Let us know what it is and how it can be controlled I hope you can save your dill.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:26 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I ate my first zucchini, and I see a couple of smaller ones. Tomatoes and peppers/eggplant are still small. My pole beans have flowers. The Kohlrabi still don't have any bumps on them...I think I may need to throw some compost on the veggies.

The spinach has gone to seed. I wonder if I can still eat it?
Woo hoo. Sorry not sure about the spinach. Try it. My guess is it will be bitter

I am just seeing some of my yellow squash and today I saw my first zucchini, it's about 1/2 inch big, lol....but it's there

Old 06-16-2011, 12:06 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
Quote:

Is this your caterpillar?

http://www.thebutterflysite.com/1-cr...y-garden.shtml

Old 06-16-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Yep. That certainly looks like it! I think that's it. Thank you. Can't rep just yet, but will do so at some point.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:55 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
Quote:
Yep. That certainly looks like it! I think that's it. Thank you. Can't rep just yet, but will do so at some point.
The Black Swallowtail uses dill, parsley, fennel and carrot as their host plants, so those caterpillars will happily munch away until they start their transformation process.

I try to co-exist and in this situation, I'd try to get my hands on some fennel (which I'm not fond of) or plant a ton of parsley (I always have more than I need) in another location and move the caterpillars to the 'sacrificial plants' as I find them. Everyone wins. I usually only resort to violence for invasive species.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
The Black Swallowtail uses dill, parsley, fennel and carrot as their host plants, so those caterpillars will happily munch away until they start their transformation process.

I try to co-exist and in this situation, I'd try to get my hands on some fennel (which I'm not fond of) or plant a ton of parsley (I always have more than I need) in another location and move the caterpillars to the 'sacrificial plants' as I find them. Everyone wins. I usually only resort to violence for invasive species.
I have some parsley but not as much as dill. I'm willing to share the dill with such as these,

Thanks again. I try not to destroy anything until I know what it is and even then I feel reluctant sometimes.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 AM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
It's amazing how much they can eat, had them last year on my cilantro. Today I found couple green ones "not as pretty as The Black Swallowtail" eating my collard greens, they have been eating them for couple days but couldn't see them. Now they were visible after eating 1/2 of one and amazing the green "poop" they leave behind :-) I picked all of them (I hope) to continue the battle of man vs nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden