U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 11:57 AM

6,472 posts, read 15,379,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I went away for 3 weeks and came back to find that my single cucuumber plant has taken over the entire 4'X8' raised bed. (I put in a drip irrigation system with a timer before I left). My sugar snap peas have all but died and was replaced by the cucuumber vines up on the trellis. I just wonder as to the cause of death? Were they murdered by the cucuumber? or because of the heat wave we had for the last 3 weeks? The 2 zuccinni plants are fighting for air superiority space against the cucuumber. The consolation is that the plant put out nice big cucuumbers, as big as 8 inches long with 3 inch diameter, whole 11 of them I harvested. The zuke only put out 1, don't seem like a good yield for the huge space they take up. I wonder if I need to cut the cucuumber vines back so my bell peppers and sweet potatoes have a chance to geeting much needed sunlight?
I think the hot weather may have killed the sugar snap peas. Peas prefer cooler weather and I believe if you're in the south, the best time to plant them is very early Spring (or maybe late winter depending on the climate), as long as the environment is cool and moist enough.

I tried "bush" zucchini this year. The plants look like regular zucchini, but they don't vine all over the place. It is only my first year growing them, but I would recommend them. The plants take up maybe 2x2 feet of space. Supposedly they don't produce for a long season, so you may need to stagger the plantings.

I had the same problem of space with my bell peppers and eggplant. My cucumber and squash leaves shaded them. I just moved them to terracotta pots in the garden. I wanted to avoid preparing another planting area, and I had some extra potting soil.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 09:50 AM

983 posts, read 2,366,556 times
Default What a mess - anyone else is suffering with mother nature?

It was thundering and raining all night here in Charlotte, woke up, started the coffee and stepped outside to see the damage. Two of my pepper plants were flat on the ground, tomatoes leaning and a branch is broken. Lost a few blooms from my eggplant as well . So I added more support for the tomatoes and peppers to get them to stand straight again. I lost hope of having my squash and zucchini not flop over the concrete patio. I am looking at the forecast and we have this same weather pattern for the next 10 days. Any suggestions on what to do to protect the garden from the elements I am going out of town for 10 days and don't want to come back to a destroyed garden.
Another question, I found a hole on one of my cherry tomatoes and wasn't sure what it was and today I found this ugly worm coming out of one of them YUK YUK YUK. It's not the hornworm, I know these, I squashed it before I took a good look at it because I was mad it ate 3 very nice looking tomatoes.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 AM

77,804 posts, read 95,539,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
It was thundering and raining all night here in Charlotte, woke up, started the coffee and stepped outside to see the damage. Two of my pepper plants were flat on the ground, tomatoes leaning and a branch is broken. Lost a few blooms from my eggplant as well . So I added more support for the tomatoes and peppers to get them to stand straight again. I lost hope of having my squash and zucchini not flop over the concrete patio. I am looking at the forecast and we have this same weather pattern for the next 10 days. Any suggestions on what to do to protect the garden from the elements I am going out of town for 10 days and don't want to come back to a destroyed garden.
Another question, I found a hole on one of my cherry tomatoes and wasn't sure what it was and today I found this ugly worm coming out of one of them YUK YUK YUK. It's not the hornworm, I know these, I squashed it before I took a good look at it because I was mad it ate 3 very nice looking tomatoes.
I think for many of us this appears to be a crappy year or certainly not all smiles like in the past. I know, my garden, as I have said, between the hail, the rain and wind, the ungodly heat and now the bugs (which according to our garden editor this morning) are worse because of the heat, I am about to give it up. I think I will do some pulling of weeds next week and try for winter squash at least.

Nita

Old 07-09-2011, 01:56 PM

983 posts, read 2,366,556 times
I love my garden and I am enjoying it and don't want to give up. Hang in there Nita, the more work we do the better it will taste. I did a little more work outside but couldn't stay out too long in the heat, it's looking better. Picked up a few cherry tomatoes and popped them in my mouth, very delicious.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I love my garden and I am enjoying it and don't want to give up. Hang in there Nita, the more work we do the better it will taste. I did a little more work outside but couldn't stay out too long in the heat, it's looking better. Picked up a few cherry tomatoes and popped them in my mouth, very delicious.
Thanks, tomatoes I have plenty of, but boy some of the other stuff. I watered this morning for about an hour and I mean deep. Right now almost everything look dead. I pulled up somemore of the squash this afternoon. it is just 100 degrees here right now.

Nita

Old 07-10-2011, 05:54 AM

13,169 posts, read 704,689 times
All these tales of woe are hard to read, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one going through this. It's not been a good season. Everything is struggling (except the weeds)

Old 07-10-2011, 06:13 AM

21,956 posts, read 22,803,046 times
Tomatoes--oh my poor tomatoes! I have always had great tomatoes here and even this year the tomatoe plants are amazing--huge--tall and bright green--healthy but very few tomatoes and the ones I do have are getting that black spot from the hard rains!!! It seems all the energy went into growing the darn plants and now there isn't any left for the tomatoes themselves!! Anyone know how or why this happened?? Everything else is growing good but I'm sure going to miss my fresh tomatoes! I'll be lucky to get a bowl full of tomaotes out of 6 plants!!

Old 07-10-2011, 06:18 AM

21,956 posts, read 22,803,046 times
Quote:
Can you redirect the cuke vines away from everything else instead of cutting it. I have been watching mine so they don't do that. And you are right about the squash and zucchini, they are taking a lot of space for the yield they bring. Well, I know I have an issue with pollination so whenever a baby zuke is ready it dies
I used a tomatoe cage this year with my cucumbers and since it was next to my house I put a few nails in the side of the house, strung some string to the tomaote cage and the cucumber is vining up the strings to the house--the cucumbers are hanging when they grow and they are beautiful and huge!! Doing it this way they only took up a few feet of space because they are growing up!!!

Old 07-10-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Tomatoes--oh my poor tomatoes! I have always had great tomatoes here and even this year the tomatoe plants are amazing--huge--tall and bright green--healthy but very few tomatoes and the ones I do have are getting that black spot from the hard rains!!! It seems all the energy went into growing the darn plants and now there isn't any left for the tomatoes themselves!! Anyone know how or why this happened?? Everything else is growing good but I'm sure going to miss my fresh tomatoes! I'll be lucky to get a bowl full of tomaotes out of 6 plants!!
I am sure one of the gardening experts will be able to help you. We never got the black spots and the best things we have this year are our tomatoes, but last year (due to total lack of rain more than heat) we had almost no tomatoes after mid July. The ones we had were 1/2 as big as in years past. I know what you mean about missing the fresh stuff. I will be that way when we have to start buying squash, even if it is locally grown.

Our paper this morning had a long article about how bad this year has been for peaches and blueberries. Some of our blueberry farms closed a week early and many are saying they have only about 1/2 the peaches they usually get. They are prdicting next year may not be any better due to this years heat.

Just think how our poor grandparents and great grandparents had to suffer 70 to 100 years ago. They depended on the crops for food and profit. The gals spent all summer in kitchens with no air conditioning and hardly any fans. They canned 100s of jars. Freezers were not a word they had even heard. Now, we grow our gardens for pleasure, we can with the air going and the dish washer to make sure our jars are clean, we have great sealing caps so we rarely lose anything, we can freeze some produce and we don't grow our gardens for profit.

Nita

Old 07-10-2011, 08:14 AM

20,545 posts, read 28,579,697 times
Quote:
I am looking at the forecast and we have this same weather pattern for the next 10 days. Any suggestions on what to do to protect the garden from the elements I am going out of town for 10 days and don't want to come back to a destroyed garden.
Sorry about the weather. I hear you. It's hard to know what to expect heat, rain, hail Is your garden small enough to cover at least the tomatoes with a tarp? If I know there is bad weather I can run up and cover mine with tarps. While you are gone maybe someone can check on your garden? I would also give extra support to any plants that might need it. My zucchini blew over yesterday and I had to stake it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I used a tomatoe cage this year with my cucumbers and since it was next to my house I put a few nails in the side of the house, strung some string to the tomaote cage and the cucumber is vining up the strings to the house--the cucumbers are hanging when they grow and they are beautiful and huge!! Doing it this way they only took up a few feet of space because they are growing up!!!
I tried to have my cukes go up a netting this year..and it's not working so well. They are wild. Maybe next year I will try a tomato cage.

My pole beans have gone crazy. No beans yet but they are about 8 feet tall and they have nothing left to grab
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden