Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 07:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,005,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Sorry about the weather. I hear you. It's hard to know what to expect heat, rain, hail Is your garden small enough to cover at least the tomatoes with a tarp? If I know there is bad weather I can run up and cover mine with tarps. While you are gone maybe someone can check on your garden? I would also give extra support to any plants that might need it. My zucchini blew over yesterday and I had to stake it.

I tried to have my cukes go up a netting this year..and it's not working so well. They are wild. Maybe next year I will try a tomato cage.

My pole beans have gone crazy. No beans yet but they are about 8 feet tall and they have nothing left to grab
I think I will stake my cukes next year as well cause they are growning over the side of the raised garden, they are invading the tomatoes etc. I did bush beans this year, I am going back to pole beans next year but think I am going to either grown a little squash in containers or just forget the squash. One of my problems is over crowding. I just do not have enough room for everything I want to grow.

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 09:11 AM

983 posts, read 2,548,901 times
This is my first year to have a garden in my current house and in NC, so it's my learning year. I already started thinking of my next year garden layout and how and what I will plant. I have a few ideas that will keep me busy in the fall and winter getting ready for next year. I had a good start this year but I still have ways to go. Happy Gardening everyone and keep the news coming.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,447,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
This is my first year to have a garden in my current house and in NC, so it's my learning year. I already started thinking of my next year garden layout and how and what I will plant. I have a few ideas that will keep me busy in the fall and winter getting ready for next year. I had a good start this year but I still have ways to go. Happy Gardening everyone and keep the news coming.
I'm also thinking about changes for next year. I have a big raised garden and the squash and zucchini take up so much room. They are my biggest problem. I want one of each...but I want a good plant..and there's no way to tell that I also know I made a mistake with my peppers. I planted them in the middle and they are hidden by the other plants..but they are growing now if I could just find them all. I have to get on all fours and peek through just to see if I missed anything

Old 07-10-2011, 09:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,447,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think I will stake my cukes next year as well cause they are growning over the side of the raised garden, they are invading the tomatoes etc. I did bush beans this year, I am going back to pole beans next year but think I am going to either grown a little squash in containers or just forget the squash. One of my problems is over crowding. I just do not have enough room for everything I want to grow.

NIta

My cukes are all over My bush beans are doing well so far but I didn't plant many. So many vegetables to choose from and so little space

Old 07-10-2011, 09:41 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,356,923 times
It's the crawling spreading veggies that eat up the space! Squash, cucumbers and melons really take up the space. That was my reason for having the cucs go up this time. Not sure how to do much with the squash--they just go where they want! Yes YL, pepper plants do well on the edges! I guess we all learn from trial and error!

Old 07-10-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
It's the crawling spreading veggies that eat up the space! Squash, cucumbers and melons really take up the space. That was my reason for having the cucs go up this time. Not sure how to do much with the squash--they just go where they want! Yes YL, pepper plants do well on the edges! I guess we all learn from trial and error!
of course we learn by trial and error, to bad so much is error. I might do the cukes and peppers in pots next year. I do know the first thing I am going to do when the fall plants are gone is have hubby spray the entire area for weeds, just to get them out of the way for winter, Then at the first sign of snows ending (probably after we get back from our late Feb cruise) i will start putting down more top soil, followed by a lot of mulch this time.

NIta

Old 07-10-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
My cukes are all over My bush beans are doing well so far but I didn't plant many. So many vegetables to choose from and so little space
I agree, I think when I retire I will have a bigger garden so I plant all the things I want to try.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I do know the first thing I am going to do when the fall plants are gone is have hubby spray the entire area for weeds, just to get them out of the way for winter, Then at the first sign of snows ending (probably after we get back from our late Feb cruise) i will start putting down more top soil, followed by a lot of mulch this time.

NIta
Have you thought about using cardboard and topsoil and mulch on top of it instead of spraying. I have a section in my patio that I am going to try when it cools down a little. I have read other threads say it's the best way to get rid of grass and weed.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Have you thought about using cardboard and topsoil and mulch on top of it instead of spraying. I have a section in my patio that I am going to try when it cools down a little. I have read other threads say it's the best way to get rid of grass and weed.
thanks, I might give it a try. The problem this year, I read so many articles on using straw instead of the standard mulch, well maybe if I had purchased 50.00 worth it would have worked, but it really didn't do much of anything and I am just about to cry. Add to it, the damn heat. Last year we didn;t have all that much heat, but no rain, this year we are getting the heat and so so rain. some weeks too much, then we go 2 weeks without a drop. 30 years of gardening and this is the worst by far. Oh well, tomorrow is another day...

BTW, how do you do the cardboard etc? Do you just put the cardboard down, the the topsoil and mulch? I have no problem with that but I have so much top soil already I hate to start over? If we just kill the weed process until winter sets in we should be ready to go by spring, or that is my thinking.

NIta

Old 07-10-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Do you just put the cardboard down, the the topsoil and mulch?
NIta
Yes, that's what I have read in other threads. I plan on trying it later after the the summer season is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden