U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 06:11 AM

77,804 posts, read 95,526,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Yes, that's what I have read in other threads. I plan on trying it later after the the summer season is over.
Me too, but I think I will still kill the grass before I even put the cardboard down. I thought about this in the middle of the night (this is something that happens to old farts, we wake up and can't go back to sleep) anyway, I decided I would first kill the weeds. Of course it means extra top soil (more than usual) for the spring planting in order to build up the garden, but I think it will be worth it.

Nita
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 PM

6,472 posts, read 15,378,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Me too, but I think I will still kill the grass before I even put the cardboard down. I thought about this in the middle of the night (this is something that happens to old farts, we wake up and can't go back to sleep) anyway, I decided I would first kill the weeds. Of course it means extra top soil (more than usual) for the spring planting in order to build up the garden, but I think it will be worth it.

Nita
Hi Nita,

I did the same thing to create some of my planting beds. Cardboard, topsoil and mulch work great. The caveats are:
1. Mow the grass low in the area you want to "kill".
2. Dig a trench around the area. This deters grass and weeds from growing into the newly cleared area. They'll try to "encroach" whether or not you use roundup. It is not a "must" but you'll need some sort of "barrier" eventually.
3. When you put down the cardboard, OVERLAP it at least 6-7 inches.

Wet the cardboard down and put down a thick layer of topsoil.

I also put down about 2-3 inches of mulch, but I think it should work fine with topsoil. The only thing I would worry slightly about is the soil washing away if there's a lot of rain or snow.

I actually made my backyard flower beds with just leaves, btw. I put all of my leaves in piles and the grass died. LOL There are still a couple of weeds, but that worked surprisingly well.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Hi Nita,

I did the same thing to create some of my planting beds. Cardboard, topsoil and mulch work great. The caveats are:
1. Mow the grass low in the area you want to "kill".
2. Dig a trench around the area. This deters grass and weeds from growing into the newly cleared area. They'll try to "encroach" whether or not you use roundup. It is not a "must" but you'll need some sort of "barrier" eventually.
3. When you put down the cardboard, OVERLAP it at least 6-7 inches.

Wet the cardboard down and put down a thick layer of topsoil.

I also put down about 2-3 inches of mulch, but I think it should work fine with topsoil. The only thing I would worry slightly about is the soil washing away if there's a lot of rain or snow.

I actually made my backyard flower beds with just leaves, btw. I put all of my leaves in piles and the grass died. LOL There are still a couple of weeds, but that worked surprisingly well.
Thanks, the mowing part will be a bit of a challenge as the beds are all enclosed in wood, that is why I thought I would just kill the grass first. I hate to use chemicals but sometimes we have no choice. All the beds do have the wood bariors. Actually some areas do not seem to attract the grass like others.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:14 PM

18,285 posts, read 21,977,778 times
Howdy all! Didn't get out garden out until the first of June so just now getting full blooms. Had the wettest spring in years and now drought having to haul 5 gallon buckets of water down to the garden every other night.

Tomato plants are short and bushy usually they are at least 2-3' tall by now. Thinking about pinching off the lower branches to see if that will promote some upward growth. Have 5' cages and they usually are taller than that by a foot or so.

Planted a new to me green bean this year called Jade. Looking forward to see what produce I get from them. Suppose to be long slender bean that produces longer than my Blue Lake bush beans I usually put out. Was told they can up beautifully so I'll find out soon.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:48 AM

13,169 posts, read 702,929 times
About getting rid of weeds for next year - can't you do that by turning over the soil and then putting mulch on top (if you need it)? Or, why not just put weed block on top and let it cover the soil all winter. There will always be weed seeds in the soil, so you'll have the same battle again next season.
At least, with weed block down, you can leave it in place when you plant your veggies (unless you start everything with seed).

Just an idea.

I wouldn't use weed-killing chemicals in an area where I'll be planting edibles.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
About getting rid of weeds for next year - can't you do that by turning over the soil and then putting mulch on top (if you need it)? Or, why not just put weed block on top and let it cover the soil all winter. There will always be weed seeds in the soil, so you'll have the same battle again next season.
At least, with weed block down, you can leave it in place when you plant your veggies (unless you start everything with seed).

Just an idea.

I wouldn't use weed-killing chemicals in an area where I'll be planting edibles.
I don't think the weed killing chemicals will hurt much as long as you add new top soil and the cardboard, even without the cardboard. Remember you will have 6 inches or more of top soil and mulch on top and the weed killing chemicals will be used months before planting. If they were all that great the weeks would never return, but they do, after about 2 or 3 months, no matter what kind you use. The reason for using in the fall is to make sure you can start the spring weedfree. Nothing will completely control the weed (better known as greas to most of us)

You sound like a true organic gardener from the word go, I guess you wouldn't want to buy any produce from the local grocery stores, that is for sure.
Nita

Old 07-14-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I don't think the weed killing chemicals will hurt much as long as you add new top soil and the cardboard, even without the cardboard. Remember you will have 6 inches or more of top soil and mulch on top and the weed killing chemicals will be used months before planting. If they were all that great the weeks would never return, but they do, after about 2 or 3 months, no matter what kind you use. The reason for using in the fall is to make sure you can start the spring weedfree. Nothing will completely control the weed (better known as greas to most of us)

You sound like a true organic gardener from the word go, I guess you wouldn't want to buy any produce from the local grocery stores, that is for sure.
Nita
Oh, Nita, what a compliment. I only wish.

I shop in the grocery stores all the time and hope for the best. I enjoy farmers' markets in the summer, and hope that produce is free of pesticides, but I'm sure it's pot luck. I use as little in my own garden as I can get away with, but last year I had to use Sevin. Hated doing it. But I do try to avoid it as much as possible.

I don't grow my veggies for subsistence. My garden is only 12' x 70'.
It's just for the activity, the fun, the satisfaction of having our own fresh watermelon or tomato or basil or whatever. I could buy far more produce with the amount of money we pour into it in soil and conditioners and new timber for the beds and Black Kow not to mention the plants themselves and the watering...well, you know how that goes. And when the heat and weeds and bugs begin to win out, I ask myself why do I do this.

By the time spring rolls around, I've forgotten the question.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Oh, Nita, what a compliment. I only wish.

I shop in the grocery stores all the time and hope for the best. I enjoy farmers' markets in the summer, and hope that produce is free of pesticides, but I'm sure it's pot luck. I use as little in my own garden as I can get away with, but last year I had to use Sevin. Hated doing it. But I do try to avoid it as much as possible.

I don't grow my veggies for subsistence. My garden is only 12' x 70'.
It's just for the activity, the fun, the satisfaction of having our own fresh watermelon or tomato or basil or whatever. I could buy far more produce with the amount of money we pour into it in soil and conditioners and new timber for the beds and Black Kow not to mention the plants themselves and the watering...well, you know how that goes. And when the heat and weeds and bugs begin to win out, I ask myself why do I do this.

By the time spring rolls around, I've forgotten the question.
Your garden is bigger than mine and I too, do it for the fun and the freshness. I also use Sevin; so far not this year though and yes, when the temps get like this year and the watering has to start, plus the weeds etc I too, think to HELL with this, but I don't really mean it. The idea of chemicals isn't what I like to think of, but I realize, in some ways, we are lucky to have them. Think about our ancesters, they had nothing and depended on mother nature to protect the produce, which, bty, they survived on.

Next year some of my garden will be in pots, I have things too crowded.

We have lots of Farmers Markets within about 30 miles of us, from May to Oct I visit every few weeks. My problem: they are so damn expensive.

Continue your gardening but do remember, everything we buy from the grocery store is probably anything but truely Organic..

Nita

Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Your garden is bigger than mine and I too, do it for the fun and the freshness. I also use Sevin; so far not this year though and yes, when the temps get like this year and the watering has to start, plus the weeds etc I too, think to HELL with this, but I don't really mean it. The idea of chemicals isn't what I like to think of, but I realize, in some ways, we are lucky to have them. Think about our ancesters, they had nothing and depended on mother nature to protect the produce, which, bty, they survived on.

Next year some of my garden will be in pots, I have things too crowded.

We have lots of Farmers Markets within about 30 miles of us, from May to Oct I visit every few weeks. My problem: they are so damn expensive.

Continue your gardening but do remember, everything we buy from the grocery store is probably anything but truely Organic..

Nita
Great comments! I'm also thinking pots for next year. I tried the sq ft garden method this year. Everything looked pretty neat and organized in the beginning! As plants grew they expanded beyond their little sq ft each and they are really crowding each other. If I do this again, it will be more than one foot per plant. Maybe I'll increase it to 2' square. That would give the tomatoes room to exapand. Cukes do their own thing; they don't pay attention to borders anyway. LOL I put in a bush cucumber thinking it would respect others' spaces, but I was wrong! Two shots of the veggie garden, one at the start of the season and the other as it got crowded, about 6 weeks later.
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-sq-ft-garden.jpg   All Vegetable Gardening-veg-garden-001a.jpg  

Old 07-19-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanFeroz View Post
I spend all the time in summer in the Farms of my grandpa, where we produce all kinds of vegetables and i just love to garden them ... its so amazing eating the natural vegetables directly from the farm...
...when they still have the warmth of sunshine in them!

Lucky you, having a whole farm.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden