U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 01:47 PM

77,786 posts, read 99,068,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Yep I have done the same with the potatoes in jars of water. I just love the little guys candied at digging time. I won't have two acres any more for lack of free kid labor. I best downsize to a half acre. So many things I like and always trying something new each year. The first year Burpee Big Girl tomatoes were on the market I put out a test row of 80 or so plants. The reward was great. Speaking of free labor, it wasn't all that free. I had to provide for these guys and girls... We worked that night by the headlights of the truck but we got all the strawberries in the ground. The same kind of raise beds you see here were used for squash, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and the strawberries.
looking at your garden i don't think I will send you a picture of mine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 04:39 PM

259,024 posts, read 87,061,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
looking at your garden i don't think I will send you a picture of mine.
Don't worry, I know good things come in small packages. Those days are gone. I don't have it anymore. The property I own east of you in Fulton County probably would grow rocks. So I'm still looking. That's how I found CD. Looking at Mountain Home. Need to return and look for a place that can have at least a 100x100 tilled. Then there would be time to fish and garden.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Don't worry, I know good things come in small packages. Those days are gone. I don't have it anymore. The property I own east of you in Fulton County probably would grow rocks. So I'm still looking. That's how I found CD. Looking at Mountain Home. Need to return and look for a place that can have at least a 100x100 tilled. Then there would be time to fish and garden.
I have heard so many positive things about Mountain Home. We thought about researching the area but wanted to stay a little closer to family. We also thought about places like Neosho Mo, but decided Bella Vista was as far as we wanted to go. It was hard enough deciding on the best place for us, we didn't need anymore confusion.

Nita

Old 03-09-2012, 05:49 PM

259,024 posts, read 87,061,746 times
I did a search and no one has mentioned as to how to keep those heads of cauliflower snowy white. It's not hard. Use large heavy rubber bands and wrap enough leaves up over the heads as soon as they start to form. The sun will yellow them otherwise. There is an organic worm killer for all cole crops but at the moment I'm at a loss for then name of it. Basically the worms eat it and the organic cells cause the worms to die for a gastro problem rather than from a chemical compound. I saw a beautiful head of broccoflower in the supermarket. That is a must try for me. It did not exist when I was in MO with good dirt.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:21 PM

866 posts, read 1,092,638 times
NOMADICUS & NMNITA:

Thanks for the suggestions about the sweet taters..sorry, I just saw your posts...I think there were several factors that contributed to the poor harvest...mainly being that the weather was just TOO hot last summer for anything to grow right here in texas...I also wasn't diligent with the watering...it was my first attempt at growing taters in a barrel...
have grown them directly in the ground elsewhere here in texas with great results, so I thought why not give it a try. anyway, think I'll stick with the cooler season crops and do some planting now and again in the fall...seem to have better luck that way...

Will be planting snow peas, sugar snap peas and lettuce blends in the next week or so..always seem to have good results with those...
then I'll try some tomatoes, peppers, eggplant

May just talk to my ex-husband about putting in a good sized garden out at his place and share the harvest...I KNOW I'll get plenty of produce from that land...used to pick 5 gallon buckets of green beans every day from the garden rows we used to plant out there...got to the point where I hated to go out to the garden cause I knew what I would find..

Old 03-11-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
NOMADICUS & NMNITA:

Thanks for the suggestions about the sweet taters..sorry, I just saw your posts...I think there were several factors that contributed to the poor harvest...mainly being that the weather was just TOO hot last summer for anything to grow right here in texas...I also wasn't diligent with the watering...it was my first attempt at growing taters in a barrel...
have grown them directly in the ground elsewhere here in texas with great results, so I thought why not give it a try. anyway, think I'll stick with the cooler season crops and do some planting now and again in the fall...seem to have better luck that way...

Will be planting snow peas, sugar snap peas and lettuce blends in the next week or so..always seem to have good results with those...
then I'll try some tomatoes, peppers, eggplant

May just talk to my ex-husband about putting in a good sized garden out at his place and share the harvest...I KNOW I'll get plenty of produce from that land...used to pick 5 gallon buckets of green beans every day from the garden rows we used to plant out there...got to the point where I hated to go out to the garden cause I knew what I would find..
Hope you have a milder summer this year and we do as well. I know what you mean about last summer. Our sweet potatoes did do pretty well and as I think I have mentioned so did our okra but absolutely nothing else survived the heat at all. By July our garden, as well as most of our friends gardens were gone...

Old 03-13-2012, 07:20 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,179,117 times
Are there any proponents of rock dust (stone dust) for gardening here?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:30 PM

3,388 posts, read 6,402,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Are there any proponents of rock dust (stone dust) for gardening here?
Dunno anything about it, tell me more....

Old 03-16-2012, 10:00 PM

866 posts, read 1,092,638 times
woohoo: planting is started for me...
yesterday I put out the following in asst. tubs.
tub #1: bunching onions, butterhead lettuce and beets
tub #2: leaf lettuce blend,spinach, and radishes
next I plan on planting some roma tomatoes and cherry or grape tomato,
depending on what is available,eggplant,flat italian green beans,wax beans
sugar snap peas.
If I can find some more tubs I also would like to grow some cucumbers and
summer squash...have plenty of seeds, just need the containers to plant
them in...

so hopeing all this work will have a good end result...

Please, Lord just enough rain and not too much heat...

Old 03-17-2012, 07:14 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,179,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Dunno anything about it, tell me more....
Reportedly, adding stone dust to garden soil improves vegetable flavor and replenishes mineral content of the soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden