Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 03:40 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,182,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
..I wonder if the stems that are still in the ground will come back?
Not likely. If the plants were indeterminate and had a single leaf then they might.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 03:49 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
Quote:
I am almost sure that is what has happened. Especially because we have had such a warm winter and early spring. We do have every other kind of catapillar known to man in our yards and garages this year. EVeryone is talking about them. I guess tomorrow is go to liquor store, buy cheap beer, use in garden. I am not about to use the Heineken on them...I wonder if the stems that are still in the ground will come back?
They seem to particularly love Schlitz.
And Nomadicus is right about the plants not coming back.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:57 PM

This is me today;

I have never, ever had the problem with rabbits that I am having this spring.
Anyone have non-poisonous advice?

Old 04-14-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
This is me today;

22 caliber pellet gun. and a beagle.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
22 caliber pellet gun.
They only come out at night, dog and cats arent doing their job.
I even had DH hook up a motion sensor on the garden floods, didnt help.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
They only come out at night, dog and cats arent doing their job.
I even had DH hook up a motion sensor on the garden floods, didnt help.
Then your only option is a 115 volt intermittent electric fence. 4 wires 3 inches apart should work. I think the brand I used was "Mustang" or maybe that was the model. I used mine to stop dogs. One night a large male dog got hung up between the wires and you can visualize what was getting zapped and boy was he howling. I was outside the city limits and could fire a 22 rifle into the dirt to make him decide which way to go. Well he went in and then had to go back through. Twice was enough. He didn't come back.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Then your only option is a 115 volt intermittent electric fence. 4 wires 3 inches apart should work. I think the brand I used was "Mustang" or maybe that was the model. I used mine to stop dogs. One night a large male dog got hung up between the wires and you can visualize what was getting zapped and boy was he howling. I was outside the city limits and could fire a 22 rifle into the dirt to make him decide which way to go. Well he went in and then had to go back through. Twice was enough. He didn't come back.
DH was just talking about that just now.......he's worried that it will kill the kitties.
We have all the stuff to set it up.....

Old 04-14-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Ok, to those of you who have a lot of experience, I need help!!!!

I have grown tomatoes for 20 years, never had any problems like this one. I have had a few tomoto worms, those big ugly green guys eat the leaves, stems and if not stopped, eventually the fruit, but last week I went out to check my baby plants; a couple of them looked like they had been smahed. I went and bought 6 more, a package of 4 and 2 larger plants, all heirloom. Now, I go out and check, they are not smashed, instead there is nothing. I can look really close and see where the stem is still there, but nothing else. The tomatoes on the other side are just fine. All are inside a 6 ft chain length fence, with a gate that no animal could open. My beans are fine, my other tomatoes, like I said are fine, the squash, growing on the other side of the fence is doing great as are all my potted veggies. I would think rabbits, but I am not sure they could get inside the fence. I can't begin to treat it if I don't know what I am treating.

I do have a fun story to go with this: I treated the garden with compost, but as some of you might remember I said my compost was mostly ground up garbage, not real compost. Well guess what? I have a lot of something growning right now and I have no idea what it is. It could be squash from seeds, cantalope or who know what else. I am not going to pull it up yet, I want to see just what it is.

Nita
Update:
Just went out to the garden to refill the Dixie cups, I found 6 of these little suckers in just 1 cup.
And one underneath.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:58 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
This is me today;

I have no idea, the only time we have had them was a few times in NM but they didn't really do too much munching down and once here. They did into the squash plants a couple of years ago, again not much eating. For some reason we are pretty lucky, we have deer, rabbits, armadillos, squarles, coons and a few other critters including fox, but they seem to leave the gardens alone pretty much. I think it has to do with so much forrest land here and most of us leave them other things they can enjoy.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:00 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Update:
Just went out to the garden to refill the Dixie cups, I found 6 of these little suckers in just 1 cup.
And one underneath.
just wondering, seeing we have never had a problem before I wonder if they could have come in the top soil we bought this year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden