Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 07:47 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
My grandmother did that 7 day thing......, she had a cellar to crock everything in.
Except when the kraut went bad and blew up.
The cellar smelled for 6 months.
Everyone within a 2 block radius in South St Louis knew what had happened by the smell.
I just dont have the time or the space, you know?
We made kraut and 7 day pickles in MO right in the kitchen. I think that old crock is going to get brought out of storage and sterilized. Acres and acres of U-pick cukes every spring here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 07:51 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
We made kraut and 7 day pickles in MO right in the kitchen. I think that old crock is going to get brought out of storage and sterilized. Acres and acres of U-pick cukes every spring here.
Awesome, I still have my grandmothers crocks, I am gonna plant cabbage in the late garden and see if I can make her kraut, I have her recipe.
BTW, do you have u pick blueberry places there?
The ones around here didnt really get a crop due to the non-winter, I called the one right down the road, sure was disappointed when they told me.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Awesome, I still have my grandmothers crocks, I am gonna plant cabbage in the late garden and see if I can make her kraut, I have her recipe.
BTW, do you have u pick blueberry places there?
The ones around here didnt really get a crop due to the non-winter, I called the one right down the road, sure was disappointed when they told me.
Yes U-pick blueberries. Don't know what current status is but can find out. Classmates grow them.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Yes U-pick blueberries. Don't know what current status is but can find out. Classmates grow them.
I'd like to know, if you dont mind.......none of the u picks in Marion County had a crop worth a hoot, and I dont have any blueberry bushes.
For now.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I'd like to know, if you dont mind.......none of the u picks in Marion County had a crop worth a hoot, and I dont have any blueberry bushes.
For now.
I'll call mom tomorrow and find out what she knows. I'll be going home for a day on Tuesday. I remember seeing signs but don't remember where. There are lots of blueberries normally near the intersection of I-75 and I-10. I'll email N FL cousin about that area.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I'll call mom tomorrow and find out what she knows. I'll be going home for a day on Tuesday. I remember seeing signs but don't remember where. There are lots of blueberries normally near the intersection of I-75 and I-10. I'll email N FL cousin about that area.
Cool, it could be a day trip kind of thing for us.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Wow!!!
I am jealous that some of you already have tomato...

I think I may do an indoor seed starting set-up for next year.
No joke right?! I have to keep reminding myself that they are in different areas, with different growing seasons, lol!

I start everything indoors except turnips, radishes, onions, (basically all tubers) and corn. Those are all seeded directly into the garden, otherwise I start inside with the plastic greenhouse things.

Quote:
Right now we have mature oranges, tangerines, 2 kinds of figs and guavas.
We planted olive trees early this spring, and are going to plant another variety this fall, along with peaches and chestnuts.
We are also gonna plant blueberry bushes and some more thornless blackberries.
I would dearly love to have some cherry and apple trees, but thats just not gonna happen this far south.
I'm SO jealous!!!! I LOVE guava juice, and no store around here sells them at all.

Anyway, so far I have tiny clumps of leaf lettuce (red susan and black seeded simpson), and chives, and radishes. The radishes are SUPER hot, which I love!

Old 05-21-2012, 08:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
about ready to call it a night, we had a long day and a long flight back from Vegas, but I did take time to check the garden. I couldn't beleive what has happened. I can't tell where the beans stop and the squash begins. or how to tie up the tomatoes,so they don't become some kind to wild vines. There are a few plants that I don't even remember planting but they are certainly something: look like some kind of squash or maybe cuke or melons, I will let you know in a few weeks. I guess this is good, but it is a bit overwelming.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:28 AM

Canned 14 quarts of green beans over the weekend, getting ready to head out to the garden to pick sugar snaps and basil, and water.
It still hasnt rained.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:06 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times
Quote:
Canned 14 quarts of green beans over the weekend, getting ready to head out to the garden to pick sugar snaps and basil, and water.
It still hasnt rained.
Hasn't rained here either, it did in fact rain 22 miles away; but not here, and no chance of it till this time next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden