Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 12:14 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times

Advertisements

paperhouse we are glad you read the veggie garden sticky! Welcome and share often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 06:38 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,098,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
paperhouse we are glad you read the veggie garden sticky! Welcome and share often.
Thanks. I love growing veggies. I'm hoping I'll have enough tomatoes to freeze and can lots for the winter. I just can't eat those things they sell at the supermarket. They're not tomatoes.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:56 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,649,862 times
Hello, paperhouse, glad you could join us!

Yeah, I used to grow in the South, practically year-round with row covers, but now that I can't transplant until MAY in NE, I didn't want to get started too early... Reckon I'll be transplanting to those cups in abt two weeks at the rate these babies are going! It's only been a WEEK and a half since I put the seeds in the pots!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:40 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,380,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I just can't eat those things they sell at the supermarket. They're not tomatoes.
I call the ones in the store 'anemic tomatoes'. I can't wait to savor the first tomatoes of the season. Next house I want to build a little greenhouse so I can start earlier.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:04 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,098,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I call the ones in the store 'anemic tomatoes'. I can't wait to savor the first tomatoes of the season. Next house I want to build a little greenhouse so I can start earlier.
Yep. I love a tomato, a knife, and a salt shaker in the middle of the garden in summer. I can't grow asparagus. It would never make it to the kitchen.

The hoophouse is great for starting seeds and overwintering some perennials. Even when the temperatures were down in the single digits, the inside was above freezing if it was sunny. This time of year, I have to keep it open on both ends. Next week I'll be removing the plastic completely and using only the bedsheet I have there for some shade. I would like to think the seedlings can handle full sun, but I'm nervous about them as this is my first time growing zinnias and other annuals from seed.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:16 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
Quote:
Yep. I love a tomato, a knife, and a salt shaker in the middle of the garden in summer.
Shoot I don't *need* the knife and the salt is just a bonus if I have it.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:12 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,380,165 times
I came across this simple kitchen garden designer while looking for solar accessories for my garden. A great planner and idea for people new to gardening who want to know what to plant, when to plant it and how to arrange it.

Gardener's Supply Kitchen Garden Planner | Grow Your Own Vegetables

Old 03-25-2009, 06:03 PM

32,757 posts, read 35,962,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I came across this simple kitchen garden designer while looking for solar accessories for my garden. A great planner and idea for people new to gardening who want to know what to plant, when to plant it and how to arrange it.

Gardener's Supply Kitchen Garden Planner | Grow Your Own Vegetables
That is pretty! There are some nice layout suggestions.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:43 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,357,038 times
We are getting our onions in this weekend, so I am prepping the beds tonight. I cannot wait for the good weather to be here and the chance of more snow to be over!

Old 03-26-2009, 03:44 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,357,038 times
Quote:
Yep. I love a tomato, a knife, and a salt shaker in the middle of the garden in summer. I can't grow asparagus. It would never make it to the kitchen.

The hoophouse is great for starting seeds and overwintering some perennials. Even when the temperatures were down in the single digits, the inside was above freezing if it was sunny. This time of year, I have to keep it open on both ends. Next week I'll be removing the plastic completely and using only the bedsheet I have there for some shade. I would like to think the seedlings can handle full sun, but I'm nervous about them as this is my first time growing zinnias and other annuals from seed.

I love zinnias! I haven't grown them in several years, but I have a few seed packets for this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden