U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-10-2012, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,417 posts, read 34,666,628 times
Reputation: 15560

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I'm about convinced the only way I'm going to get disaster free tomatoes is in a hydroponic greenhouse. Not to wet not to try with food on an even keel.
Today started bright and sunny for a change.......about 5, the seabreeze collision effect came in right over our house.
Funny/ironic thing....the extra h2o only seems to split the brandywines, the marzanos that had the blossom rot earlier this year could care less.
I dunno.....my Grandpa Collard (yes thats the name, we were NOT named after the green, we brought it with us, thats how the family story goes) always said a farmer is an eternal optimist.
-sigh-
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2012, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Covington County, Alabama
221,894 posts, read 83,574,376 times
Reputation: 135213
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Today started bright and sunny for a change.......about 5, the seabreeze collision effect came in right over our house.
Funny/ironic thing....the extra h2o only seems to split the brandywines, the marzanos that had the blossom rot earlier this year could care less.
I dunno.....my Grandpa Collard (yes thats the name, we were NOT named after the green, we brought it with us, thats how the family story goes) always said a farmer is an eternal optimist.
-sigh-
H'm. I plant GA Collards. Yummy with ham hocks.

Now the reason for the cracking is that the San Marzano is a commercial variety that has been much improved with resistance to lots of things. When you plant thousands of acres for commercial canning plants heritage tomatoes will break the bank. I wasted money trying to grow Burpee Delicious tomatoes in MO. 3-4 tomatoes per vine doesn't pay. Can't wait to get settled again in the Midwest and grow me some Jetstars. Good non crackers unless a summer long monsoon. And it did happen 1 year out of five. Home grown Jetstars are great tasting and very productive on good black dirt. Pruned to three stems they made a lot of one pound tomatoes for us. Still looking for photos. We canned the smaller ones and sold the jumbo slicers.

I only planted Celebrity tomatoes this year. First time. Not again. Cracked awful. Photo coming tomorrow. Horror shot.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Covington County, Alabama
221,894 posts, read 83,574,376 times
Reputation: 135213
Talking You never know

What will happen when a volunteer tomato bears its fruit. These two came from the same plant that came up in a compost pile. No two tomatoes the same size. Same color, same taste. Meet Mutt & Jeff.

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,804 posts, read 95,526,831 times
Reputation: 49013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
What will happen when a volunteer tomato bears its fruit. These two came from the same plant that came up in a compost pile. No two tomatoes the same size. Same color, same taste. Meet Mutt & Jeff.
wow, I love it when the volunteers surprise us. I have some volunteer cukes, I think that is what they are, but all I have right now are blossoms. I will be anxious to see what comes from them...They are everywhere. Actually, I don't know if I can call them true volunteers, I think they may have been planted a year or more ago and just never did anything. Why now, with all the added top soil, mulch, etc I have no idea.

Nita
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 PM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 17,391,410 times
Reputation: 7681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Sounds like you have a good case of flea beetles.
THANK YOU! I thought you were pulling my leg - flea beetles indeed - and that's exactly what they are! Diatomaceous earth and/or Sevin dust is supposed to take care of them. I was trying to avoid Sevin because of the bees...didn't spread the earth today because of all this alleged rain, which we didn't get a drop of. Every single storm fell apart right before it got to our area. It is SO dry.

My cukes ARE on trellises - I think I didn't pour the water to them as these early ones were forming and maybe that's why they are malformed (maybe?). I guess the proof will be in the next few that start maturing.

I will do a better job next year of getting the water lovers in one place and the other stuff in another - I think I was just giddy this year because of the early warm spring - must have clouded any good judgement I had!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Covington County, Alabama
221,894 posts, read 83,574,376 times
Reputation: 135213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
THANK YOU! I thought you were pulling my leg - flea beetles indeed - and that's exactly what they are! Diatomaceous earth and/or Sevin dust is supposed to take care of them. I was trying to avoid Sevin because of the bees...didn't spread the earth today because of all this alleged rain, which we didn't get a drop of. Every single storm fell apart right before it got to our area. It is SO dry.

My cukes ARE on trellises - I think I didn't pour the water to them as these early ones were forming and maybe that's why they are malformed (maybe?). I guess the proof will be in the next few that start maturing.

I will do a better job next year of getting the water lovers in one place and the other stuff in another - I think I was just giddy this year because of the early warm spring - must have clouded any good judgement I had!
If it comes to Sevin dust just don't use it until right before dark. by the time the bees return the beetles are dead and so is the seven. I like a liquid system better so you can avoid getting it on the flowers of the plants. Dust can do harm to the plants under bad weather conditions. Their should be other organic choices but maybe not. I saw dozens of different things at a Lowes garden center that were all organic.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2012, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,804 posts, read 95,526,831 times
Reputation: 49013
I did break down and use Sevin dust last night, just before dark. I too, have to use anything like that, but from time to time it is just necessary. This morning the bees were out in full swing, doing their job and appeared to be just fine. Of course the main things I use the Sevin on are the beans to control the beetles and the tomato plants to control whatever. The bees are doing what they do best around the squash, cukes and peppers.

Nita
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Covington County, Alabama
221,894 posts, read 83,574,376 times
Reputation: 135213
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I did break down and use Sevin dust last night, just before dark. I too, have to use anything like that, but from time to time it is just necessary. This morning the bees were out in full swing, doing their job and appeared to be just fine. Of course the main things I use the Sevin on are the beans to control the beetles and the tomato plants to control whatever. The bees are doing what they do best around the squash, cukes and peppers.

Nita
I'll buy a bag of wettable before I plant my fall crop of zipper cream peas. Other wise I lose them to stink bugs. Always hose down crops before harvest when even sevin is used. Did you know that Sevin is what replaced DDT. Did you know it is used as flea powder on mature dogs? Did you know it is in the carbamate family of insecticides? Did you know it has a cousin called Temick that will kill you too. I've never used Temick and never will. Temick may be misspelled. Seems like it is used in citrus production from sealed cab tractors and the operators have to wear gas masks. I drank DDT as a toddler. As a toddler I followed my grandfather through his fields while he dusted everything in the 40's with DDT. Did you know DDT was blamed for a lot of things proven false. DDT did not have any effects on warm blooded animals. Did you know it was mostly organic? The sad think is that millions have died from malaria after it was banned. Used improperly DDT would have done our bees in. Should have been used for fighting malaria only.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,545 posts, read 28,576,889 times
Reputation: 88829
Thanks for the info about Sevin. I don't need it "yet" but I know it's only a matter of time. I didn't know to add it at dusk.


I have lots of yellow squash coming in and my first little cucumber. By next month I won't be able to keep up.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,417 posts, read 34,666,628 times
Reputation: 15560
All my basil is trying to bolt, went and trimmed it down, am gonna dry it today.
I am gonna let it come back one more time and harvest it to make pesto, then I am gonna let it go to seed and harvest the seed.
All my dill has seed heads on it, gonna let them go to seed, too.
Still have lots of tomatoes, green beans and corn, eggplants have fruit all over them.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top