U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 06:58 PM

242 posts, read 447,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
I am very serious about starting an asparagus patch, from crowns. I think I need one more summer, to get the location ready, tho......

This year I planted nine Asparagus roots, eight of which came up, six of the eight came up doubles, have never planted Asparagus before, I knew they are a fern and it takes a year, or two or three is preferable, to begin to get any harvest, I get all plants, fertilizers, seeds et al from a local farm supply store, they can also identify anything veggie I have brought in to them, haven't been able to stump them yet. They also gladly tell me how to care for any of my plants if I have a question. Several years ago I walked in and asked for "a 50# bag of 10-20-20", their response "Now Dreison, you need 20-10-10, cause you have the same red clay that everyone around here has". Of course, they were right and I have been successfully doing an ever increasing in size garden each year for the last 12 years. My gardens do tend to be over-producers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 05:03 PM

23,410 posts, read 35,535,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Sigh, I'm working in an office again...so I decided to restrict my chickens to the area around the coop. My guys are teenaged chickens, and they did eat a lot of bugs. But they messed up a few of my mulched areas. I'm not sure what they'd do in a veggie garden. My flock is like a little gang.

I haven't used chemicals on my veggies...but I did spray the apple trees with neem and a baking soda substitute. As far as my ornamental plants go....hee hee hee...Sorry aphids...those lilies were expensive. The asiatic lilies are about finished blooming, and I'm looking forward to the orientals.

I don't have a lot of bug problems yet, but I plant marigolds and nasturtiums. My old veggie bed was also in the bed w/ herbs. Is that what you mean by companion planting?
My internet is down due to Tropical Storm Debby, but as soon as it is up, I will post a really good link for companion planting, cant do that on my phone.
In other news, garden is flooded, I was out digging trenches to drain the olive trees.
Harvested all the tomatoes that looked like they might even think about getting ripe.
Debby is supposed to hang around until Thursday, I think my garden is done.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Sigh, I'm working in an office again...so I decided to restrict my chickens to the area around the coop. My guys are teenaged chickens, and they did eat a lot of bugs. But they messed up a few of my mulched areas. I'm not sure what they'd do in a veggie garden. My flock is like a little gang.

I haven't used chemicals on my veggies...but I did spray the apple trees with neem and a baking soda substitute. As far as my ornamental plants go....hee hee hee...Sorry aphids...those lilies were expensive. The asiatic lilies are about finished blooming, and I'm looking forward to the orientals.

I don't have a lot of bug problems yet, but I plant marigolds and nasturtiums. My old veggie bed was also in the bed w/ herbs. Is that what you mean by companion planting?
Heres the companion planting guide I use;
Companion Planting
Hope this helps!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:25 AM

77,786 posts, read 99,099,909 times
I was going to do some planting today, but the heat is just too intense. I did pull out some of the squash plants and the beans. I am going out early tomorrow to plant sweet potato plants. Usually I grow them from the potato itself but this year it is barely surviving so I got 6 plants for $3 yesterday at WalMart. I am giving it a try plus I am trying broccoli. We will see what Sept and Oct holds. Right now the prediction is for rain here Sat through Tues, so hopefully, we will get some. My tomatoes are ripening all at once...Well, almost, I still have lots of beautiful green ones, but of course no new blossoms. I also got the funny little guy I got last year and the year before. I still am not sure what it is. It looks like some kind of cuke I may have planted 3 or 4 years ago and it just keeps coming back. It is green, fuzzy on the outside and resembles a mellow of some sort only it is really tiny. I don't know how many more I will get, the plant is going crazy..Who says cukes are nor perenials?

Old 07-06-2012, 10:10 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,568,107 times
Anyone here grow sweet corn? Anyone here growing sweet corn in the middle of a drought?

Haven't had rain since May and I'm watering my corn like crazy, but no tasseling going on. Am I fighting a losing battle here? I planted in late May, got beautiful growth, and it really looked like it would be a great year for it until Mother Nature decided to turn off the faucet and kick up the heat! (Something like 17 days now of triple digit heat).

Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Anyone here grow sweet corn? Anyone here growing sweet corn in the middle of a drought?

Haven't had rain since May and I'm watering my corn like crazy, but no tasseling going on. Am I fighting a losing battle here? I planted in late May, got beautiful growth, and it really looked like it would be a great year for it until Mother Nature decided to turn off the faucet and kick up the heat! (Something like 17 days now of triple digit heat).
from what I gather, reading here and talking to friends, most of us are accepting, unless there is a huge change in the weather in the next week or so, this year will be worse for our gardens than last year. The good news, crappy summers can't continue forever. I guess now we can understand better how the dust belt affected people during the depression. At least we are not dependent on our gardens for survival.

We are going on about the same number of hot days as you. I am not keeping track, but it is about 3 weeks or so for us...I don't remember the last real rain we got. We were gone 10 days in the middle of May, we thought there would be a lot of rain then, but there was less than a quarter of an inch. About 3 or 4 weeks ago we got .20. The difference this year from last: last year we had a lot of spring rain and a miserable summer; this year no spring rain and a worse summer.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:

If its too hot, the corn wont tassel or pollinate.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 AM

I read something interesting in the gardening section of our paper yesterday: if the tomatoes have stopped blooming and I am sure, in many places in the USA they have, if they are not completely dead, keep the moist, when the temps cool down, toward the end of summer and before the nights get cold, they will produce again. I think I will give it a try, instead of ripping everything out.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:46 PM

6,470 posts, read 15,764,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I read something interesting in the gardening section of our paper yesterday: if the tomatoes have stopped blooming and I am sure, in many places in the USA they have, if they are not completely dead, keep the moist, when the temps cool down, toward the end of summer and before the nights get cold, they will produce again. I think I will give it a try, instead of ripping everything out.
I read that somewhere, as well. Supposedly other veggies can do the same thing. My tomatoes for the past couple of years produced until the fruit pretty much froze on the vine.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:18 PM

242 posts, read 447,033 times
Quote:

Yup!!! Growing a variety of sweet corn I get at the local agriculturally oriented co-op/vendor, named " Incredible " and..... those who have tried it claim it to be an understatement. It actually tastes better raw than cooked, cooking burns out some of the sugar so it isn't as sweet as raw. It is a hearty variety and doing well, in spite of 100 + degree heat and sparse rain. Have been eating it, and tomato sandwiches, for the last two weeks.......Yeah......I know......It's such a tough life!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden