U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 10:59 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,661,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
our daughter lives in Windermere, just outside of Orlando and she says the same: aftenoon rains daily and even though the humidity is high, it keeps everything green and feels really refreshing.

Nita
I am due east of Orlando, so in the same general area as your daughter. My front yard is a swamp, complete with tadpoles! There is something wrong with the way the yard was landscaped it does not drain as it should. The yard is an ongoing project lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 10:12 PM

492 posts, read 592,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Iris View Post
I am due east of Orlando, so in the same general area as your daughter. My front yard is a swamp, complete with tadpoles! There is something wrong with the way the yard was landscaped it does not drain as it should. The yard is an ongoing project lol

I will take any and all tadpoles and water that you want to send my way. I have a small pond in my yard and it is totally dry. What is up with this crazy weather? lol

Old 07-29-2012, 01:28 PM

12,719 posts, read 15,738,042 times
Tomatoes are finally getting ripe, been picking snow peas. Waiting on the squash and snap beans to grow.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:20 PM

77,786 posts, read 99,099,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
I will take any and all tadpoles and water that you want to send my way. I have a small pond in my yard and it is totally dry. What is up with this crazy weather? lol
our oldest daughter, who lives about 4 miles from us can't keep water in her little pond either. Today the squirrels were drinking out of the pan of water we have in the back yard for the animals: there were about 3 or 4 of them and as many eating off the corn cobs we have thrown out for them. I just feel so sorry for everyone and everything in this part of our country right now. Our grass is gone, even the golf courses have pretty much, nothing but brown grass, the trees are losing all their leaves everytime the wind even moves and most of us have just taken down our hanging plants. You can soak them every morning and the blooms are still falling off.

Nita

Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Don't we all wish we could share the rain, the sun or whatever....?? When I talked to her yesterday, she was having trouble understanding how our grass could really be gone or how leaves could be falling off trees and the trees maybe are gone: Certainly they are gone for this season. We just have to hope they will come back: many have actually fallen as they are old and truely dead.. You know, that does sound pretty funny, no, not being old, that is just scary,but really dead? If sometime is dead it is dead, just like being pregnant, you can be just a little pregnant, you either are or you are not.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:05 PM

6,470 posts, read 15,764,436 times
The drought is scaring me a little. It seems like it is creeping northward.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
The drought is scaring me a little. It seems like it is creeping northward.
Just look at it this way, these years happen, look at the dust bowl (well many were not alive then, but you remember reading about it) There are years when hurricanes hit, one on top of another or years and there have been a few in the past 5 years where 1/2 or more of the country is snowed in all winter. This too will pass, it is just we are in our 3rd year here of unusually hot weather, but this is the driest. Who knows, next year we might be gripping cause there is so much rain we can't even get out to plant our gardens. I am not worried, I am frustrated though and my heart is breaking for all the little animals.

As bad as we are having it, think about the days with no air conditioning and think about the days when our parents or grandparents depended on the garden for survival.

Nita

Old 07-31-2012, 06:34 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,661,927 times
Quote:
Just look at it this way, these years happen, look at the dust bowl (well many were not alive then, but you remember reading about it) There are years when hurricanes hit, one on top of another or years and there have been a few in the past 5 years where 1/2 or more of the country is snowed in all winter. This too will pass, it is just we are in our 3rd year here of unusually hot weather, but this is the driest. Who knows, next year we might be gripping cause there is so much rain we can't even get out to plant our gardens. I am not worried, I am frustrated though and my heart is breaking for all the little animals.

As bad as we are having it, think about the days with no air conditioning and think about the days when our parents or grandparents depended on the garden for survival.

Nita
You are so right. In 2004 we had 2 major hurricanes come across our area within 6 weeks and a third within 3 months. We were without electricity of 2 weeks! We are having a typical Florida summer this year but are just starting hurricane season. I lived in the Midwest for a long time and know how they feel about the drought, the ground gets so had you can't put shovel into it! I put out water for the wildlife and birds. Don't know if it helps them, but it makes me feel that I have done something for them.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
You are so right. In 2004 we had 2 major hurricanes come across our area within 6 weeks and a third within 3 months. We were without electricity of 2 weeks! We are having a typical Florida summer this year but are just starting hurricane season. I lived in the Midwest for a long time and know how they feel about the drought, the ground gets so had you can't put shovel into it! I put out water for the wildlife and birds. Don't know if it helps them, but it makes me feel that I have done something for them.
How I remember that 2004 season, our daughter was lucky. They did get some damage but I don't think they even lost power. Many of thier friends did not have it so good. I also remember Andrew: that was a rough year for Florida as well. Things come and go.

As for water for the animals, after watching the squirrels drink water in our yard yesterday and chomp down on the corn, I am convinced what we can do to help them does save them misery and yes, makes us feel better.

Nita

Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 PM

6,470 posts, read 15,764,436 times
Quote:

Nita
LOL I think about ht a lot whenever I try to grow food. No wonder my grandparents had so many kids...but it must have been scary knowing a crop failure could mean not being able to feed the family. I know for sure w/ my "yields" LOL I would be dead in a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden