Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 10:43 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,219,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Jaxson, that would be sad, if you couldn't have even a container garden. I am taking the bull by the horns today or tomorrow and ordering my seeds. I know it is 6 weeks before we can even think of the garden, but it will keep me going until the happy day arrives. This year, because of health issues we are going to have our son in law, actually dump all our top soil. Neither of us can lift the bags, darn it!!!!
Glad you have help to do it that will be another problem after this year if I do get to put out a full garden.

I'd like to try those purple Cherokee tomatoes has anybody grown them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,994,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Glad you have help to do it that will be another problem after this year if I do get to put out a full garden.

I'd like to try those purple Cherokee tomatoes has anybody grown them?
I had trouble last year but got through the ordeal of all the top soil etc. Now, hubby is not able to lift too much since his radiation and hormone shots, he just doesn't have the strength he used to. All I expect our son in law to do is: dump the soil and mulch, I can do the rest and am anxious to get started. We rarely have much cold weather after early April. Though the ground will still be cool, the new top soil will help, so I am hoping the weekend after Easter we can get started. The kids leave for a cruise right after that. Even if I don't do any planting, if I can have the beds ready that will be great..Oh, I tried the purple tomatoes last year, the worms cleaned the plants completely. By the time I learned how to stop them, there were no more plants in the nursery.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 AM

8,742 posts, read 13,004,362 times
Nita, I can relate. My dad is 85 yrs old and can not lift heavy things anymore. I try to do as much as I can every time I visit, but I can only visit so often being 2,000 miles away. This past Christmas I put in an irrigation system with timer for him. He's really happy with that as now it will water the lawn automatically. I also bought & put in mulch around all flower beds & planters. This week I happened to be visiting them so I planted/ relocated some plants for them. It may not seem much but when you get up in years this physical labor can be daunting.

Stay healthy.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Nita, I can relate. My dad is 85 yrs old and can not lift heavy things anymore. I try to do as much as I can every time I visit, but I can only visit so often being 2,000 miles away. This past Christmas I put in an irrigation system with timer for him. He's really happy with that as now it will water the lawn automatically. I also bought & put in mulch around all flower beds & planters. This week I happened to be visiting them so I planted/ relocated some plants for them. It may not seem much but when you get up in years this physical labor can be daunting.

Stay healthy.
hey, good news or I hope it is: I got a shot in my knee and the fluid drained a couple days ago. Doc says these shots sometimes work for a few months and probable can be repeated. So, it the weather cooperates, I might be able to get the garden in with out having to crawl back into the house. I will still need son in law to dump the bags, but that is ok.

Now, after our ice storm tonight lets hope the worst in over.

I am glad to hear your dad has someone to help him: no matter how little you think you are doing, to him it like magic. Kids can be the sunshine of our lives. Well not when they were in their teens.
Nita

Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,770,932 times
We had a little cool weather and brought in the seedlings, but today it is in the mid-70's and sunny. Hope to be able to plant the seedling outdoors next week.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:43 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,219,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Iris View Post
We had a little cool weather and brought in the seedlings, but today it is in the mid-70's and sunny. Hope to be able to plant the seedling outdoors next week.
Show off.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,390,674 times
Default Calcium; you never have enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
No..I haven't heard of this... why do you do it?
crushed egg shells put calcium in the ground, but usually need composting to allow the plant to uptake.
On the coast we never have enough.
But if you're in a non-rainy area you may have too much.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Show off.
A little cool weather, what would she call our weather? it is barely out of the teens this morning, the ice is still around, although not much and the only sign of life outside is the bulbs poping up and the blue birds flying around. Oh yes, the darn wood peckers as well, they think our house is their dinnerplate. I am still hoping we can, at least think of getting the ground in shape in the next month..

Nita

Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,770,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
A little cool weather, what would she call our weather? it is barely out of the teens this morning, the ice is still around, although not much and the only sign of life outside is the bulbs poping up and the blue birds flying around. Oh yes, the darn wood peckers as well, they think our house is their dinnerplate. I am still hoping we can, at least think of getting the ground in shape in the next month..

Nita
I have had my share of you kind of weather Even though I am a Florida naive, I lived in north west Missouri for many years. Highs in the negative numbers in the winter lows in the 90's in the summer! with the wind blowing off the plains all the time! We have our challenges here, heat, humidity, millions of bugs all of which either want to eat the plants or the person planting! Vegetation will grow wild and become a jungle without constant vigilance! Things that grow in the mid-west in the spring and early summer (lettuce, sweet peas, etc) will grow here only in the winter when the weather is not as hot. No matter where you live gardening is a fun, challenging, and rewarding occupation.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Iris View Post
I have had my share of you kind of weather Even though I am a Florida naive, I lived in north west Missouri for many years. Highs in the negative numbers in the winter lows in the 90's in the summer! with the wind blowing off the plains all the time! We have our challenges here, heat, humidity, millions of bugs all of which either want to eat the plants or the person planting! Vegetation will grow wild and become a jungle without constant vigilance! Things that grow in the mid-west in the spring and early summer (lettuce, sweet peas, etc) will grow here only in the winter when the weather is not as hot. No matter where you live gardening is a fun, challenging, and rewarding occupation.
our daughter lives in the Orlando area, we love visiting, but I just couldn't take the humidity. We have enough here, as for the bugs, well, we have our share so that I could learn to live with. I do wish I would say, I have to watch so the garden doesn't get out of hand. You are right though, it is just fun to see the results of your hard work and knowing what you are putitng into your mouth. I will add, I am not an organic nut, this doesn't mean I don't want to have a clue what I am eating...but I am not anti pesticides all the time and I will kill a bug, with stray if there is no other way.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden