Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,023,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I too planted garlics & shallots in the fall and they are doing well. I also planted red beets and let them over winter. The plants are the biggest I've seen! I am ready to turn part of soil over to blend in my compost befor I transplant young tomatoes, peppers & Japanese eggplant. I could not find Napa Cabbage in local nurseries so I may have to sow seeds. But I will sow carrot seeds anyway so it is no big deal.

I love Spring. They are so many gardening things to do
I am tempted to try garlic next fall as well as beets. We love beets, they are healthy, calorie free almost but fresh are outrageously expensive. I find it interesting canned ones are not all that pricey??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 AM

8,742 posts, read 13,008,983 times
Nita this is my first year growing red beets so I couldn't tell you why fresh beets are so much more expensive. From what I read, fresh red beets taste much sweeter. But be careful when buy from stores to make sure it is recently harvested and not been stored for 6 months or longer. My wife also complain fresh red beets are expensive so I started planting them.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,279,332 times
I always plant my garlic in the fall (October) since it's a ten month crop.

But onion sets go in in the spring. I've never tried to grow onions from seed.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Nita this is my first year growing red beets so I couldn't tell you why fresh beets are so much more expensive. From what I read, fresh red beets taste much sweeter. But be careful when buy from stores to make sure it is recently harvested and not been stored for 6 months or longer. My wife also complain fresh red beets are expensive so I started planting them.
the only time I buy them is at our local Farmers Market and they only have them in spring and very early summer. We may be taking a trip to the oncologist in a week or so: if so, I will stop by the market (assuming it is a market day) and pick some beets up.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:50 PM

126,371 posts, read 19,135,939 times
I tried for the first time to grow garlic, planting last October as a test trial and I could not believe my eyes...Right now the garlic plants shot up around 10-15 cm in height and it looks like I will have in late summer my own garlic Yippy! We harvest a lot of vegetable from our garden to feed our whole family of 6 plus I hand out vegetables to the shelter weekly!

Old 04-12-2013, 05:52 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,444,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I tried for the first time to grow garlic, planting last October as a test trial and I could not believe my eyes...Right now the garlic plants shot up around 10-15 cm in height and it looks like I will have in late summer my own garlic Yippy! We harvest a lot of vegetable from our garden to feed our whole family of 6 plus I hand out vegetables to the shelter weekly!
Good for you! Isn't garlic awesome?

I get beets from my mom, but honestly I never noticed a difference in the taste. I don't notice a taste difference with tomatoes, either. But since I normally buy organic vegetables...I definitely notice the price. LOL The cold-season veggies are still small. I thought I could share a box with my squash etc...so I hope they mature soon.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Good for you! Isn't garlic awesome?

I get beets from my mom, but honestly I never noticed a difference in the taste. I don't notice a taste difference with tomatoes, either. But since I normally buy organic vegetables...I definitely notice the price. LOL The cold-season veggies are still small. I thought I could share a box with my squash etc...so I hope they mature soon.
We love garlic, a daily ingredient in our food I want to try to grow beets.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
We love garlic, a daily ingredient in our food I want to try to grow beets.
I can't cook without Garlic and the biggest problem, as we get older, out taste buds do get duller, so it takes more and more. When my dad, in his 80s told me this I thought he was losing it; well he was, not his mind but his taste. Now that I am in my late 70s (almost) I know that he meant. I love my garlic and use plenty of it...Thank goodness it isn't very expensive.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I can't cook without Garlic and the biggest problem, as we get older, out taste buds do get duller, so it takes more and more. When my dad, in his 80s told me this I thought he was losing it; well he was, not his mind but his taste. Now that I am in my late 70s (almost) I know that he meant. I love my garlic and use plenty of it...Thank goodness it isn't very expensive.
Nice to see you nita how are you? Do you use a lot of onions or ginger too?

Old 04-13-2013, 12:52 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,222,779 times
Just asked admin again about putting up a sub-forum for vegetable gardening so we'll see what they will do. In the past they say there isn't enough interest but I think with over 240k views and 1700+ replies we've shown there is enough interest. So thanks for posting and if you'd like to see the thread to the admin here's the link.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/about...l#post29103653
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden