Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 02:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Good to hear, Nita. How's your garlic doing?
you would have to mention that? Well let's put it this way, what sprouted is doing really well, it is just, in the entire pot only 2 bulbs decided to raise their heads. Tell me, should I re-plate in the fall or wait til very late winter for my spring supply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 03:21 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
After 6 straight days of rain and being out of town, I found that my cucumbers had grown to gargantuan size and were strangling my peppers with their tendrils. Time to relocate the peppers.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:01 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Jaxson so long there are yellow flowers you gently shake them once a day. Be kind to your 2 little green ones I think I counted around 80 tish so far and still counting. Last years harvest of almost 1000 tomatoes was amazing and I gave so much to our local food bank.
A hair dryer set on cold will shake and pollinate and not hurt already set tomatoes if done on a gently breeze. Just use a zig zag pattern to simulate wind.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:03 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
After 6 straight days of rain and being out of town, I found that my cucumbers had grown to gargantuan size and were strangling my peppers with their tendrils. Time to relocate the peppers.
Old hog wire fencing makes good trellis material for cucumbers. When the hang the varieties that tend to curl will grow straight.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you would have to mention that? Well let's put it this way, what sprouted is doing really well, it is just, in the entire pot only 2 bulbs decided to raise their heads. Tell me, should I re-plate in the fall or wait til very late winter for my spring supply?
I would plant them by October/ November time frame.

That's what I did. They over winter just fine (I am in zone 7). In the spring they took off reaching for the sky. Besides, it is nice to see something green growing in the garden.

On a separate note, I planted sweet onion this spring next to my tomato plants. Well... the tomatoes plants became over 6 feet tall and 3~4 feet wide, pushed everything aside (including its cages) and shadow anything that's growing under them. I had to harvest my onions early so they were not big.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I would plant them by October/ November time frame.

That's what I did. They over winter just fine (I am in zone 7). In the spring they took off reaching for the sky. Besides, it is nice to see something green growing in the garden.

On a separate note, I planted sweet onion this spring next to my tomato plants. Well... the tomatoes plants became over 6 feet tall and 3~4 feet wide, pushed everything aside (including its cages) and shadow anything that's growing under them. I had to harvest my onions early so they were not big.
Thanks, that is what I will do: then do I just leave the pot out even in the snow?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 AM

Well if it isn't one thing it is another: here we have nice cool weather, almost too cool but it will warm up. I am finally seeing the squash and what did I see this morning? dozens of squash bugs. Darn it!!! I can't spray them cause the bees are enjoying themselves too much, there are way to may to flip them away, I don't really know what to do. We used to get them in NM, but as I have said, it wasn't until the weather got really hot and by them we were sick of the squash!!!!

Old 07-03-2013, 01:05 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thanks, that is what I will do: then do I just leave the pot out even in the snow?
I planted mine in raised beds, but I would think leaving the pots out in the winter should be fine. I guess you can set the pots together then put some mulch around them to keep the soil from freezing.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I planted mine in raised beds, but I would think leaving the pots out in the winter should be fine. I guess you can set the pots together then put some mulch around them to keep the soil from freezing.
ok and I will have them under cover somewhat on our front porch!!!

Old 07-07-2013, 03:25 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Hi all. I'm newish to the Garden threads, but not to the forums. I live in North Dakota, challenging zone 3-4, and I love gardening.

I wanted to ask folks about some tomatoes that I'm trying this year for the first time.

I always plant my cherry tomatoes...but they had some very unusual tomatoes so I picked a few up.

One is called Krim, (heirloom) and the other is Cherokee (heirloom) and still another is Indigo Rose, ....Had anyone planted, or tasted these before? I have them in very large pots, and they are doing well so far...Lots of baby tomatoes on the indigo rose...which looks to be a bit larger than a cherry tomato.
Any tips, or experience would be appreciated. Thanks...Jan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden