Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 12:13 AM

4,281 posts, read 6,059,318 times

Advertisements

Yep. That's pretty much the only reason to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 12:19 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,577,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzogirl View Post
I like veggie gardening too. I am ripping out my front lawn and planting mostly edibles. Seems to be way more useful than a lawn. I am putting raised beds mixed with potted plants and all kinds of fruit bushes. We also planted a few dwarf fruit trees last year. It has really sparked the neighbors' interests. I would rather shop in my yard than overinflated Publix. And, yes, egg shells are great for the compost pile as long as you crumble them up to get the process going.
I have been doing this for a few years now. But I have a very small yard and have some underlying ground problems. I am trying more container gardening though I dont know how successful I will be since I am often not at home to water.

I love to work in my yard.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:01 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
I planted my red seed potatoes in Rubbermaid tubs yesterday. They are up on our front porch so I can control the weather a bit on them and keep them out of the winds for now. Thank goodness for big ole country porches eh?

Old 04-11-2009, 02:30 AM

I would love to have a porch. Alas, we live in a trailer park, so it ain't happening. Once hubby starts to get more paychecks in we are going to get some more things to plant. I need to find a way to make some shade, though, because it gets really hot here in the desert.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:08 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,577,413 times
I am in Florida so I planted some tomatoes a 2-3 weeks ago in some tall containers and they are beautiful ! My prettiest plants ever ! I just hope I have tomatoes......<g>

I planted a few things in some tubs the other day but the wind has been high and I still work a lot so, they suffered from lack of water.....I am not happy.

I will keep trying. I grow collards every year in my flower beds. I have grown peas in the front yard and green beans, too. I have had watermelons come up from seed but I never leave them on the vine long enough to ripen good. I have lots of pineapples and some citrus trees. I took out my bananas because they took too much water for the return.
I have a grape and a blackberry bush but I dont think I have enough room for them. I have very limited space.

I love to grow things.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:09 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I would love to have a porch. Alas, we live in a trailer park, so it ain't happening. Once hubby starts to get more paychecks in we are going to get some more things to plant. I need to find a way to make some shade, though, because it gets really hot here in the desert.
Can you plant in buckets or containers that you could move around? How about taking an old sheet to make a canopy for part of the day? Good luck keep us posted on how your gardening is going please.

AnnieA keep us updated on your progress as well please.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:33 AM

Moving them around wouldn't do much good because we don't really have shade anywhere here. I am thinking that in back of the trailer may be best. It gets sunlight, but I am thinking it will get more shade than where I have them now. They are fine where they are now because it isn't blazing hot yet. I'll have to have a gander out back at different times of the day to check.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:19 PM

19,720 posts, read 10,450,822 times
Quote:
My tomatoes are coming in well. This is my first time growing anything. They are pretty close to turning red. Man, I love living in southern California. Well, not really, but already having tomatoes is nice.
*requesting a picture?*
I poked around, yesterday. no signs of even a tulip.............

Old 04-12-2009, 07:21 PM

19,720 posts, read 10,450,822 times
Quote:
Moving them around wouldn't do much good because we don't really have shade anywhere here. I am thinking that in back of the trailer may be best. It gets sunlight, but I am thinking it will get more shade than where I have them now. They are fine where they are now because it isn't blazing hot yet. I'll have to have a gander out back at different times of the day to check.
Steel fence posts & a tarp might work....if your neighbors wouldn't complain......

Old 04-12-2009, 07:34 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,098,845 times
Got my tomatoes spaced in the garden. Today's the date most people start to plant out here. I'm going to do mine tomorrow afternoon. They get more sun next month once the angle increases a bit more.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden