Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 06:08 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am still trying to understand why the weeds this year? We always have some, of course and we had mor rain then normal but still, I am thinking the top soil might have had a lot of grass and crap in it compared to other years.
In MO it was common in the early spring before the soil was warm enough to plant farmers would use a disk harrow and lightly work the top 3-4 inches of soil. When one farmer would ask another what they were up to the standard answer was "Killing Weeds". As the stirred the soil each new time they would kill a new crop of weeds. This would be a great way to help slow the weeds down in a home garden. I used to do it with a Troy-built tiller in the 70's when caring for 1 to 1.5 acre gardens. Seed from various weeds get buried to deep to sprout and lie dormant until they get moved to near the surface where the soil warms to their liking. Thus working the ground a few times before planting helps by simply getting any dormant seeds brought to the warmer layer of soil to sprout and then kill the seedling with the next working. I'm so anxious to get another semi large garden on real black dirt again so we freeze, dry, and can most all of our own food. Our favorites just can't be bought at a market anymore. Here is what I want to work the soil with now instead of a new Troy-built. One should last me a life time now.

The hiller/furrower attachment is indispensable for making raised beds for strawberries, sweet potatoes, and even tomatoes that don't like excessive moisture on their feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 09:06 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Looks like I am about to say good buy garden for this year, unless there is a way to cook and can weeds? I still have a lot of cantaloupe blossoms ,so will probably get some more of them in a few months. We have a lot of tomatoes that will be ripening in a few weeks or so, but the squash is gone, the cukes never were and there are a few peppers, but nothing to get excited about.
My green bell peppers are profilic producers this year & so is my eggplant. OTOH, my tomatoes were too bushes growing lots of limbs and little tomatoes. I planted little tubers of sweet potatoes 6 weeks ago and they are growing like gang-busters. My lemon grass is reaching for the sky (with a little help from the trellis). Also, I did not know basil can reach 5 feet high and 3 feet wide. It's taking over a big chunk of air space in my raised beds.

I was looking forward to the fall planting but the summer vegetable are still going strong so I don't have the space. I even took over my wife's flowerbed to grow some potatoes & bell peppers.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
My green bell peppers are profilic producers this year & so is my eggplant. OTOH, my tomatoes were too bushes growing lots of limbs and little tomatoes. I planted little tubers of sweet potatoes 6 weeks ago and they are growing like gang-busters. My lemon grass is reaching for the sky (with a little help from the trellis). Also, I did not know basil can reach 5 feet high and 3 feet wide. It's taking over a big chunk of air space in my raised beds.

I was looking forward to the fall planting but the summer vegetable are still going strong so I don't have the space. I even took over my wife's flowerbed to grow some potatoes & bell peppers.
other than trying garlic in a pot I am through this year. I will tear out the rest of the squash tomorrow or MOnday and keep the tomatoes watered. My sweet pots have been in for ages, We usually dig them up in mid October.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:05 PM

515 posts, read 778,272 times
Potato digging time. All this from the 75 lbs. of seed that I planted back in April. I harvested well over 500 lbs. of potatoes today. It's been a great year for my garden, probably my best ever potato harvest.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:09 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
Potato digging time. All this from the 75 lbs. of seed that I planted back in April. I harvested well over 500 lbs. of potatoes today. It's been a great year for my garden, probably my best ever potato harvest.
Got peanut oil?

Old 08-31-2013, 08:41 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
Wow Homersboy great fantastic job! Now you do know to lay those out to dry before storing right? You have had a great garden year congrats!

Old 09-01-2013, 08:14 PM

515 posts, read 778,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Wow Homersboy great fantastic job! Now you do know to lay those out to dry before storing right? You have had a great garden year congrats!
Thanks. Yeah, I'll let them dry for a few days and then I'll sort them and I'm probably going to can a dozen pints of the smaller ones. After a final count today, there's 9 1/2 bushel which is about 550 lbs of potatoes. I have a brother in law and a sister that have serious health problems and today I delivered 2 bushel to their house. My kids will take a few and I've already had people asking me if I was going to sell some. My nephew and his wife are always canning pickles, jams, and salsa and sharing it with us so I'll probably give them a bushel. 4 bushel will be plenty for my wife and I.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:19 AM

983 posts, read 2,542,407 times
Look at all these potatoes, this looks great, too bad I don't live closer, would have stopped to buy some from you.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
wow, what a harvest. I won't dig up our sweet potatoes until the middle of next month. Instead of 500 lbs, we will be lucky to get 5...

Old 09-08-2013, 06:38 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,762,421 times
Great harvest!

I'll try potatoes next year. In previous years, my yield was limited in space but Oh! did I enjoy those potatoes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden