Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 08:58 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,011,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I took the straw off of my raised beds to let my strawberries get some sun and to sow some radish seeds. A guy passing by poked a little fun saying I'm a bit too optimistic. Judging by the number of weeds that had already grown under the straw, I think the radishes will do just fine, though.
I want to grow something exotic this spring. Your post reminded me to give a try on Japanese radish - called "Daikon".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 07:31 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,733,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I want to grow something exotic this spring. Your post reminded me to give a try on Japanese radish - called "Daikon".
I love the Daikon. It's delish, a great addition to the menu! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it myself! (rep coming you way )

Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,939 times
Anyone have some good ideas for keeping the animals away -- I have deer, rabbits, squirrel, turtles and I think oppossum that devoured all my green beans, strawberries and lettuce last year. My spouse, now deceased, used to have a huge electric fence, but I am unable to set this up -- I really don't want to harm any of them, but all my hard work went wasted last year.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBSST View Post
Anyone have some good ideas for keeping the animals away -- I have deer, rabbits, squirrel, turtles and I think oppossum that devoured all my green beans, strawberries and lettuce last year. My spouse, now deceased, used to have a huge electric fence, but I am unable to set this up -- I really don't want to harm any of them, but all my hard work went wasted last year.
Chicken wire fence. Cheap & effective.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:57 AM

712 posts, read 1,097,538 times
also look into bird netting that you can drape over your veggies. You can hold the edges of the netting on the ground with bricks or other heavy objects. Then whenever you need to work with the veggies, simply remove the bricks and raise the netting.

I'm planning to build a dome over my veggie beds using PVC pipes and will drape a frost cover over it initially to protect the plants from frost and bugs looking to lay eggs. Once it gets a bit warmer and my plants are more mature, i'll remove that and just drape the bird netting over to protect the plants from animals. Good luck

Old 03-27-2014, 11:16 AM

and if you are worried. Put the PVC pipe on top of the chicken wire fence, then nothing can crawl over the fence

Old 04-03-2014, 06:04 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,447,634 times
I'd recommend having a fence company put up a tall fence around the garden with chicken wire sides. It will probably cost $1800 + but it will look nice and keep out the animals so you can enjoy the veggies.

This week I planted some seeds! Lettuce, bok choi, kohlrabi, swiss chard, beets and brussels sprouts. I usually plant parsley in the flower bed, but I put down some seed in the official vegetable garden. Parsley is my favorite herb to grow from seed. It sprouts really easily and comes up thick. Nice edible ground cover.

So far I only have tomatoes and eggplant growing inside. I usually direct seed these into the garden, but I tried starting seed inside last year. I didn't seem to get much of a head start, though. Possibly because of the cool wet weather we had practically all year. I'm trying again.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I love the Daikon. It's delish, a great addition to the menu! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it myself! (rep coming you way )
Thank you for the rep! I direct sow the daikon seeds onto my vegetable bed ~2 weeks ago and now they are peeking their heads out of soil Then I came across U-tube that daikon are often used as cover crop to break up the clay soil, so I sowed a few more in my flower bed it will be an interesting experiment this season.

I finally made a hoop house to cover my vegetable bed for the spring frost last week to protect the lettuce, broccoli, and brussels sprouts. I bought little plants from HD and planted them so was anxious about freezing their buns The hoop house was pretty easy to set up, I don't know why I hesitated this long.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,403,685 times
HB2HSV ....that is an interesting fence. What prompted that type of cap? As a human, climbing over that might be easier. Looking here for incouragement for coming Spring? We are getting another major snowstorm and I am determing how many times I must plow in the next 24 hrs. I was out cutting wood today and the snow is still over my knees, I hope crocous learn to grow tall!

Old 04-07-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
HB2HSV ....that is an interesting fence. What prompted that type of cap? As a human, climbing over that might be easier. Looking here for incouragement for coming Spring? We are getting another major snowstorm and I am determing how many times I must plow in the next 24 hrs. I was out cutting wood today and the snow is still over my knees, I hope crocous learn to grow tall!
Hi Wordsmith,

The idea of putting PVC pipe above the fence is that if animals like squirrel, cats, or deer try to climb over, it will roll so the animal an not get a grasp onto the fence.

We're beginning to get spring rain so I think the dangr of frost is reducing by the date (officially that lasr frost date id 4/15). My daikon seeds have sprouted so it's exciting to watch them grow. The garlics and shallots continue to thrive.

This is also the first year I have orange & lemon trees in pots. They've bloomed and now looks like I will be getting lemons & oranges from home-grown plants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden